Big Brother Yahoo is watching

  • mokurai
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
      Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
      are going - similar to cookies.

      Take a look at their updated privacy statement:
      http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

      About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies you will see
      a link that says "web beacons."
      Click on the phrase "web beacons."

      That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo
      Network."
      In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out" link
      that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

      Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice
      the "Success"
      message on the top of the next page. Be careful because on that page
      there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will *undo**
      the opt-out.

      Feel free to forward this to other groups.
    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
        Thank you Mokurai,

        I'm not worried about web privacy so much but I hate all those little flags, beacons, cookies, dataminers, etc. that loge in weird places in my computer and slow down the performance, change minor settings, etc.

        It can play havoc with my graphics programs... and there is nothing I hate more (online) than opening a web browser and it going somewhere I had not told it to.

        -Takeda
      • Kristin Pamperin
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
          Mokurai,

          Thank you for informing us about this new tracking
          device. However, clicking on the opt-out option only
          means that your information is not shared with Yahoo's
          partners. You are still being tracked. (see statement
          below from the privacy statement)

          >>You may choose to opt-out of Yahoo! using this
          information for this research. Please click here to
          opt-out.<<

          Big Brother still watches us all!

          Krystinia

          --- mokurai <mokurai@...> wrote:

          > Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to
          > track Yahoo
          > Group users around the net and see what you're doing
          > and where you
          > are going - similar to cookies.
          >
          > Take a look at their updated privacy statement:
          > http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy
          >
          > About half-way down the page, in the section on
          > cookies you will see
          > a link that says "web beacons."
          > Click on the phrase "web beacons."
          >
          > That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside
          > the Yahoo
          > Network."
          > In this section you'll see a little "click here to
          > opt out" link
          > that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of
          > snooping.
          >
          > Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out.
          > Notice
          > the "Success"
          > message on the top of the next page. Be careful
          > because on that page
          > there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked,
          > will *undo**
          > the opt-out.
          >

          > Feel free to forward this to other groups.

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004

            >In the book, Odate-sensei shows a fair number of types of screens, none
            >have inset handles or framed in boxes of any kind, they do have paper
            >handles. This may be a modern addition.

            Nope! I think that we are trying to describe the same sort of thing here.
            The handles are not actually made out of paper. They are an opening in
            the framing where there is no covering. That is a more traditional form.
            Modern shouji often have stamped metal inset handles in the framing.

            This note prompted me to look up shouji in Daijirin. The article is rather
            interesting. Most generically, shouji refers to a feature of Japanese
            architecture constructed by glueing some sort of surface over
            of a wooden frame. The surfacing material can be either paper or cloth
            and can be either thick or thin. Originally, both sides were surfaced,
            but begining with the middle ages, the Japanese took up using a single
            layer of paper or silk so as to admit light. Daijirin (1st ed.) also
            notes the special application of shouji to windows and as room boundaries.
            While tsudare can also be translated as screen, they are simply hung and
            not glued to a frame.

            Frederic in "Japan Encyclopedia" is more restrictive: "In architecture, a
            sliding door or window with mullions; its open surfaces are covered
            with white translucent rice paper so that light can enter. Shouji are
            still widely used, and their function is as practical as it is
            decorative. In modern homes, they are often lined with glass on the
            outside to protect them."

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004

              >From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
              >

              >>>In the book, Odate-sensei shows a fair number of types of screens, none
              >>>have inset handles or framed in boxes of any kind, they do have paper
              >>>handles. This may be a modern addition.
              >>

              >Nope! I think that we are trying to describe the same sort of thing here.
              >The handles are not actually made out of paper.

              Yes, but there's a special way to fold it so the wood is completely
              covered, your hand touchs the paper, not wood, that was my meaning.

              >This note prompted me to look up shouji in Daijirin. The article is rather
              >interesting. Most generically, shouji refers to a feature of Japanese
              >architecture constructed by glueing some sort of surface over
              >of a wooden frame.

              I think they key part here is correct. Free standing screens are not
              called shoji, they are called either byobu(opaque) or tsuitate. If it's
              meant to be part of a house, even if it doesn't slide but is hung or
              just placed it's shoji. It has to be a house piece and not random furniture.

              >Frederic in "Japan Encyclopedia" is more restrictive: "In architecture, a
              >sliding door or window with mullions;

              Frederic or the last generation of traditionally apprenticed tategushi?
              Hmmm... I say they don't have to slide.

              Jim Eckman
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2004

                >I think they key part here is correct. Free standing screens are not
                >called shoji, they are called either byobu(opaque) or tsuitate. If it's
                >meant to be part of a house, even if it doesn't slide but is hung or
                >just placed it's shoji. It has to be a house piece and not random furniture.

                This is the point I was trying to get across. Shouji are sliding architectural
                units. The opaque internal sort are now called fusuma while shouji are the
                translucent exterior sort. Very technically, these shouji can be internal.
                However, their light admitting properties have them placed next to a narrow
                companionway on the other side of which lie either wooden shutters or a
                sliding glass door or similar contrivance. Strictly internal translucent
                room dividers would be distinctly odd, but not impossible. One possibility
                comes to minnd. I once stayed at a very very fance youth hostle whic was
                set up in such a way that the rooms looked like small estates with the
                entrances having these wooden jail-cell style gates on them. All very
                fancy. Since these fronted on the interior of the building, the interior
                of the building served as a sort of symbolic out doors and shouji could
                easily face in this direction.

                | trash by my email filters. |