Re: [SCA-JML] Re: silk painting -- tangent

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      "S. David Lee" <ogamibusho@...> wrote:

      Westerners often refer to sashiko embroidery as quilting, when in
      fact it does not 'quilt' at all, though there is a surface
      resemblance. (And I don't believe sashiko is period. I could be
      wrong.)

      Please correct me if I'm wrong here. As I said, I am no
      seamstress.
      -Ogami

      This site claims it dates, in some form to the Asuka period:

      http://www.localcolorart.com/encyclopedia/Sashiko_quilting/

      Sasiko quilting [Pronounced: SA-SHEE-KOE] is a form of quilting originating from Japan.

      Centuries ago, Japanese peasants practised a running-stitch technique called "little stabs" to patch torn or worn clothes. Mending was vital as cloth and thread were scarce and therefore valuable.

      When white cotton thread became available, this was used for patching indigo blue garments, and this gave Sasiko its distinctive appearance.

      The oldest surviving item of sasiko-stitched clothing is from the Asuka period and is a Buddhist priest's robe. It was donated to a temple in 756.

      Many Sasiko patterns were derived from Chinese designs, but just as many were developed by the Japanese themselves.

      The artist Katsushika Hokusai (1760 � 1849) published the book New Forms for Design in 1824, and his designs have inspired many Sashiko patterns

      Alcyoneus

    • STEPHEN CHURCH
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        From what I remember, it goes something like this.

        The peasants would take scraps or rags and sew them onto their clothes to
        fill in holes or make it thicker (warmer).
        Sometime this layering got 3 to 5 layers deep.
        As time progressed the sewing of scraps or rags onto clothes used stitches
        that were created to emulate designs. So, if they sewed a circle of clothe
        over a hole in the garment, the stitching was done in a circular design. If
        they added a chunk of rag to thicken up their garments, they used various
        patterns/designs in the stitching to hole the rag chunk onto the garment.
        When the samurai rose to prominence they brought this technique with them
        and it became know as sashiko. The use of white thread over two layers of
        fabric to hold them together was later period, post 1600. I think the
        earliest known piece was about 1678 or 1768(?).. There is still debate
        going on that it could have been used in-period, but nothing to verify it
        yet.

        Sashiko was never done with batting or filling.

        However, there are examples of filled or batted kimono used as sleeping
        blankets, but they did not have any stitching to hold them together (other
        than the seams), rather they used raw silk, which when applied to both sides
        of the fabric, glued the silk cloth to the silk batting.

        So it appears our Daimyo is correct.

        Bun'ami

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          Bun'ami-sensei,
          Greetings from your deshi, Date Saburou Yukiie,
          I was wondering, do you have the music for the newest Taiko piece
          laid out in Finale Notepad?
          I was hoping that a copy might be available somewhere, so I can
          practice...

          Date Saburou Yukiie
          Yama Kaminari Ryu

          PS: I really enjoyed the last practice...I was hoping to get up this
          friday, but I do not think that is possible...

          Date

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
            S. David Lee wrote:

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "maggie_mae1@j..."
            > <maggie_mae1@j...> wrote:
            > >
            > >I was told that some padded and/or quilted garments are created
            > with fabric scraps (as wool was not available to create batting)
            > > Megge
            >
            > While clothing certainly isn't my area of expertise, it's my
            > understanding that the Japanese didn't quilt in the Western sense of
            > the word.
            >
            > The padding in jacket which Akiley and I made has the batting sewn
            > to the inside seam allowances, which I was told is a period
            > technique. We used poly batting instead of the correct silk, cost
            > being a factor. I understand that silk batting clings to the inside
            > of the main fabric, allowing very little shifting.
            >
            > Westerners often refer to sashiko embroidery as quilting, when in
            > fact it does not 'quilt' at all, though there is a surface
            > resemblance. (And I don't believe sashiko is period. I could be
            > wrong.)
            >
            > Please correct me if I'm wrong here. As I said, I am no
            > seamstress.
            > -Ogami

            I don't recall hearing anything about the technique Megge suggests, but
            I have read in places the information that Ogami-dono shares. I did
            make a quilted kosode some years ago. I used cotton batting as I
            couldn't find silk. I sewed it in at the side seams and, because I was
            concerned about the batting shifting, I did sew one vertical line down
            the center back and several horizontal lines (I'm about 5'4" so I think
            I used maybe 3 horizontal lines on both front and back.) I can't
            remember what I did to the sleeves...I suspect I did sew a line or two.
            It may not be totally period, but I was more concerned with keeping the
            batting in place.

            Kiri