Re: silk painting -- tangent

  • S. David Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "maggie_mae1@j..."
      <maggie_mae1@j...> wrote:

      >I was told that some padded and/or quilted garments are created
      with fabric scraps (as wool was not available to create batting)
      > Megge

      While clothing certainly isn't my area of expertise, it's my
      understanding that the Japanese didn't quilt in the Western sense of
      the word.

      The padding in jacket which Akiley and I made has the batting sewn
      to the inside seam allowances, which I was told is a period
      technique. We used poly batting instead of the correct silk, cost
      being a factor. I understand that silk batting clings to the inside
      of the main fabric, allowing very little shifting.

      Westerners often refer to sashiko embroidery as quilting, when in
      fact it does not 'quilt' at all, though there is a surface
      resemblance. (And I don't believe sashiko is period. I could be
      wrong.)

      Please correct me if I'm wrong here. As I said, I am no
      seamstress.
      -Ogami
    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        "S. David Lee" <ogamibusho@...> wrote:

        Westerners often refer to sashiko embroidery as quilting, when in
        fact it does not 'quilt' at all, though there is a surface
        resemblance. (And I don't believe sashiko is period. I could be
        wrong.)

        Please correct me if I'm wrong here. As I said, I am no
        seamstress.
        -Ogami

        This site claims it dates, in some form to the Asuka period:

        http://www.localcolorart.com/encyclopedia/Sashiko_quilting/

        Sasiko quilting [Pronounced: SA-SHEE-KOE] is a form of quilting originating from Japan.

        Centuries ago, Japanese peasants practised a running-stitch technique called "little stabs" to patch torn or worn clothes. Mending was vital as cloth and thread were scarce and therefore valuable.

        When white cotton thread became available, this was used for patching indigo blue garments, and this gave Sasiko its distinctive appearance.

        The oldest surviving item of sasiko-stitched clothing is from the Asuka period and is a Buddhist priest's robe. It was donated to a temple in 756.

        Many Sasiko patterns were derived from Chinese designs, but just as many were developed by the Japanese themselves.

        The artist Katsushika Hokusai (1760 � 1849) published the book New Forms for Design in 1824, and his designs have inspired many Sashiko patterns

        Alcyoneus

      • STEPHEN CHURCH
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          From what I remember, it goes something like this.

          The peasants would take scraps or rags and sew them onto their clothes to
          fill in holes or make it thicker (warmer).
          Sometime this layering got 3 to 5 layers deep.
          As time progressed the sewing of scraps or rags onto clothes used stitches
          that were created to emulate designs. So, if they sewed a circle of clothe
          over a hole in the garment, the stitching was done in a circular design. If
          they added a chunk of rag to thicken up their garments, they used various
          patterns/designs in the stitching to hole the rag chunk onto the garment.
          When the samurai rose to prominence they brought this technique with them
          and it became know as sashiko. The use of white thread over two layers of
          fabric to hold them together was later period, post 1600. I think the
          earliest known piece was about 1678 or 1768(?).. There is still debate
          going on that it could have been used in-period, but nothing to verify it
          yet.

          Sashiko was never done with batting or filling.

          However, there are examples of filled or batted kimono used as sleeping
          blankets, but they did not have any stitching to hold them together (other
          than the seams), rather they used raw silk, which when applied to both sides
          of the fabric, glued the silk cloth to the silk batting.

          So it appears our Daimyo is correct.

          Bun'ami

          >>I was told that some padded and/or quilted garments are created
          > with fabric scraps (as wool was not available to create batting)
          >> Megge
          >
          > While clothing certainly isn't my area of expertise, it's my
          > understanding that the Japanese didn't quilt in the Western sense of
          > the word.
          >
          > The padding in jacket which Akiley and I made has the batting sewn
          > to the inside seam allowances, which I was told is a period
          > technique. We used poly batting instead of the correct silk, cost
          > being a factor. I understand that silk batting clings to the inside
          > of the main fabric, allowing very little shifting.
          >
          > Westerners often refer to sashiko embroidery as quilting, when in
          > fact it does not 'quilt' at all, though there is a surface
          > resemblance. (And I don't believe sashiko is period. I could be
          > wrong.)
          >
          > Please correct me if I'm wrong here. As I said, I am no
          > seamstress.
          > -Ogami

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            Bun'ami-sensei,
            Greetings from your deshi, Date Saburou Yukiie,
            I was wondering, do you have the music for the newest Taiko piece
            laid out in Finale Notepad?
            I was hoping that a copy might be available somewhere, so I can
            practice...

            Date Saburou Yukiie
            Yama Kaminari Ryu

            PS: I really enjoyed the last practice...I was hoping to get up this
            friday, but I do not think that is possible...

            Date

          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
              S. David Lee wrote:

              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "maggie_mae1@j..."
              > <maggie_mae1@j...> wrote:
              > >
              > >I was told that some padded and/or quilted garments are created
              > with fabric scraps (as wool was not available to create batting)
              > > Megge
              >
              > While clothing certainly isn't my area of expertise, it's my
              > understanding that the Japanese didn't quilt in the Western sense of
              > the word.
              >
              > The padding in jacket which Akiley and I made has the batting sewn
              > to the inside seam allowances, which I was told is a period
              > technique. We used poly batting instead of the correct silk, cost
              > being a factor. I understand that silk batting clings to the inside
              > of the main fabric, allowing very little shifting.
              >
              > Westerners often refer to sashiko embroidery as quilting, when in
              > fact it does not 'quilt' at all, though there is a surface
              > resemblance. (And I don't believe sashiko is period. I could be
              > wrong.)
              >
              > Please correct me if I'm wrong here. As I said, I am no
              > seamstress.
              > -Ogami

              I don't recall hearing anything about the technique Megge suggests, but
              I have read in places the information that Ogami-dono shares. I did
              make a quilted kosode some years ago. I used cotton batting as I
              couldn't find silk. I sewed it in at the side seams and, because I was
              concerned about the batting shifting, I did sew one vertical line down
              the center back and several horizontal lines (I'm about 5'4" so I think
              I used maybe 3 horizontal lines on both front and back.) I can't
              remember what I did to the sleeves...I suspect I did sew a line or two.
              It may not be totally period, but I was more concerned with keeping the
              batting in place.

              Kiri