Re: [SCA-JML] favors

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2004
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! Poetry is more of a party game than a party favour.
      As for preasants. These typically need to be wrapped and should not be
      unwrapped in the presence of the giver.

      As for combat momentos. Those are typically souveneirs returned to loved
      one after the death of a warrior. These could be such things as a lock of
      hair. Victors in combat would take the heads for prominent warriors and
      would display them to their lords. The lord might then award the warrior
      with an appointment or promotion of some sort.

      | trash by my email filters. |
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2004
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solveig! You should definitely jump at the chance to move
        back to Japan. I should have jumped into the Pacific and started swimming
        when I had a chance several years ago. As for the matterial posessions
        that trouble you. The only one of any significance is your car which you
        will not need in Japan anyway. The books CAN be shipped to Japan. Just
        contact a freight broker. Most of your electronic toys will work just fine
        in Japan and you can ship those as well. The only thing which will not
        work is a U.S. HDTV.

        | trash by my email filters. |
      • Park McKellop
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
          Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:
          >Noble Cousin!

          >Greetings from Solveig! Poetry is more of a party game than a party favour.
          As for preasants. These typically need to be wrapped and should not be
          >unwrapped in the presence of the giver.
          I would tend to agree with this, even in the modern world, it is more my style.

          >As for combat momentos. Those are typically souveneirs returned to loved
          one after the death of a warrior. These could be such things as a lock of
          hair. Victors in combat would take the heads for prominent warriors and
          would display them to their lords. The lord might then award the warrior
          with an appointment or promotion of some sort.

          I keep thinking that it might be neat to present opponents with little 'kogai' in some form after memorable fights, or simpler ones for regular fights in tournaments or challenges.

          Alcyoneus