Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Brute Squad

  • Justin P Barney
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 24, 2004
      Konnechiwa.

      I do not wish to drag this discussion out further, but I feel that I need
      to respond to a statement.

      Date Toshinobu wrote:
      "Some history for you. Northern NY state has had a string of "martial
      arts" groups that have operated on the fringe. I know this well as I
      lived there for many years and saw them come and go. Preying on
      ignorance and a large college student population various "arts" are
      offered up for public consumption, often at higher rates for instruction
      than in large cities, and with fewer oversight visits from the home or
      regional "office" so to speak. Some were very much personality cults
      with a martial arts veneer and I am deeply suspicious that contact
      information would all be one guy operating without any reference to his
      national or international federation links."

      I was an active artist with various groups in the Upstate area between
      the years of 1985 and 1997, and have since been very active in dojos in
      NYC and Rochester since. I feel that the above statement casts a rather
      dark light upon northern NY dojos that is not warranted, as the state of
      schools up there is, in my humble opinion, no different than anywhere
      else. I am sorry to disagree with you, but in those 12 years I worked
      with a number of excellent people and had a very positive experience. In
      fact, I can only bring to mind one group that would be appropriately
      described by your above statement. I just wanted to offer my experience
      with the schools in the area so that the readers of this list do not
      think too harshly of the place that was my home for several years and
      that I still have a warm spot in my heart for.

      It is unfortunate that one of ours has found another undesirable "dojo".

      On another note:
      You indicated in a previous email that the Shire of the Northern Outpost
      is your old stomping ground. I am curious - what years were you active
      with the group up there? I joined the SCA in 1992 while I was living in
      Potsdam and I don't remember you. Do you know Master Harald Ulfson?

      Sincerely,
      Ozumi Takezou
    • Solveig
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 25, 2004

        Greetings from Solveig! I must say in defence of Isshin Kendou North Country
        that it does receive sporatic visits from outside kendou instructors at least
        one of whom was most likely from Montreal. The only dojou test is 6 kyuu, and
        all tests from 1 kyuu and above are external federation tests.

        | trash by my email filters. |