Re: [SCA-JML] Kobakama

  • Kev Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30 9:21 AM
      > That's partially because you don't have a cinching
      > cord at the bottom
      > running through the hem. Another problem is that
      > kobakama are *usually* too
      > short to stick into kyahan.

      With this particular pair of pants, i think that's the
      only chance I have is to run a cord through the hem.

      > What do *you* consider to be kobakama, and what
      > period are you trying to do
      > with it?

      Well I was referring to the type of shorter hakama
      that are described in the Samurai Sourcebook by
      Turnbull in the translation included. I'm thinking
      it's 1500's.

      > > I tried to
      > > taper them by sewing the pleats together at the
      > > bottom, but that just makes it near impossible to
      > > spread my legs farther than a normal stance. Very
      > > confusing. How do you work yours in battle?

      > A third thing (what I do
      > with fighting hakama)
      > is gather the bottom (with a few small dart-pleats)
      > INTO the top of the
      > kyahan and make it all one garment. This is called a
      > shitate hakama.

      I'm interested in this last method, is this something
      that they did in period? What do you do with the
      original pleats that come down from the waist band?
      Just stretch it all out at the bottom and dart it all
      in from there? This is what I was attempting to do,
      but it just wasn't coming out as well as I intended.

      Takezou

      http://mail.yahoo.com/