[SCA-JML] Re: Yari (and gulf wars)

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
      Finally, does anyone in this group planning on going to Gulf Wars?
      Be Well,
      Ogami
      Itto

      Sigh... If only...

      Longingly,
      Fujiwara
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
        On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

        > Hey, everyone,
        > I don't really expect that anyone will know the answer to this
        > one, but here goes...
        > I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
        > about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
        > 16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
        > and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
        > Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
        > long?

        I don't know, but I will check and see what I can find for you here; I
        should have some pictures coming back in a week or so, but that might be
        too late, I don't know.

        Naginata, I know, varied widely, with huge blades of almost half the
        length of the pole on some, two only the last quarter or so. I don't know
        if the same was true of the yari.

        I will see what I can find for you.

        Ogambarikudasai,

        Godric Logan
        aka Joshua Badgley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
          Ogami Itto wrote:

          > Hey, everyone,
          > I don't really expect that anyone will know the answer to this
          > one, but here goes...
          > I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
          > about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
          > 16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
          > and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
          > Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
          > long?

          There was no set size; just as the shaft length can vary, so can the blade length. The
          tang is typically again the blade length or occasionally twice it. One (or two) mekugi
          pins, held exactly the way a sword blade it; mekugi through the shaft and tang.

          > Second, is there any furniture that I should have for a yari, or
          > do you just put a slot in a long shaft and put mekugi through to hold
          > the blade in place? (Then how do I hold the mekugi in place, without
          > any tsuka-itto?

          Tsuka ito is irrelevant. The mekugi is located at the interstices on a tsuka; you don't
          have to unwrap the hilt to pull the pin.

          Effingham/
          Hiraizumi
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
            Hiraizumi Dono!

            Greetings from Solveig! Do I hear the confessions of a secret samurai?
            I am reminded of those Ramen Operas on television where you can always
            tell the "undercover daimyo" because all of his clothes are clean and
            his hair looks like it was just arranged. Then there was the show about
            the secret undercover police who at climatic moments in every episode
            pull out and display an inro.

            Now then, are you still really sure that you aren't a Ninja as per our
            electronic conversation of about four years ago? (As you might recall,
            you insisted that a Ninja at Pennsic would wear western clothing and
            call himself something inocuous like "Henry" or "Edward".)

            | techie.com |
          • Markejag@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2000
              Greetings Noble gentles!

              One possilbe answer to:

              << I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
              about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
              16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
              and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
              Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
              long?>>

              Could be a variation of Yari-kanna (Japanese style wood planes). These had
              short handles, yari shaped spear tips, used to plane tree trunks into temple
              columns of uniform thickness and to flatten and shape large planks for floor
              boards. The shorter versions seen to day are for cabinetry and tansu. The
              large tang was necessary for controlling the yari-kanna when doing the final
              cuts of fine shavings of wood, but the handle did not have to be as long as a
              military yari.

              Fumio