Re: [SCA-JML] Period Wagon?

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004

      >A thought penetrated my thick skull and made me wonder something. Was there
      >anything like a covered wagon, carriage, or anything similar used in period?
      >Anything to carry supplies or people from point A to point B? Horse-drawn or
      >otherwise? And something bigger than the personal single-occupent carriers
      >(exact name fails me)?

      It depends on who you are and where you are trying to get to. The kuge
      traveled around Heiankyou in oxcarts which were rather like rooms on two
      wheels. For long distance travel, people with enough wealth would ride
      in a smaller version suspended on a pole carried by bearers. These
      came in several varieties and in its simplest form was an open air
      platform with the rider holding onto a piece of cloth suspended from the
      pole to keep from falling off.

      Supplies were generally carried in a wooden box on a porter's back or
      possibly suspended from a pole carried by several porters.

      As for "wrecking the roads". What roads? While these roads may at times
      been somewhat broad, you have to understand that Japan is about 90%
      mountainous. Futher, the mountains are pretty much volcanic or made out
      of similarly tough rock. While you do encounter muck in towns and between
      rice paddies, a lot of these "roads" really are in less danger of these
      wheeled vehicles than the wheeled vehicles are in danger of the roads.

      Sorry, no connestoga wagons need apply.

      | trash by my email filters. |