Re: [SCA-JML] Period Wagon?

  • Alcyoneus
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
      In Europe, there was. Visually, they appear to be not that different than
      'prairee schooners'. The tops may have been removable for use as market
      stalls, I've seen pics of markets like that. I've also seen architecture
      that was labeled as having a 'wagon' styled ceiling. They rather resembled
      the round topped portable garages you can buy.

      Alcyoneus

      At 09:20 AM 11/5/2004 -0800, you wrote:

      >Konnichiwa,
      >
      >A thought penetrated my thick skull and made me wonder something. Was there
      >anything like a covered wagon, carriage, or anything similar used in period?
      >Anything to carry supplies or people from point A to point B? Horse-drawn or
      >otherwise? And something bigger than the personal single-occupent carriers
      >(exact name fails me)?
      >
      >Domo arrigato.
      >-A nip named Kato

      >Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      >www.yahoo.com

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >---
      >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

    • jeremy_kroeker
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
        I couldn't give you a source for this information. But apparently
        during the muromachi and edo period (approx.) wheeled anything that
        needed a horse on the highways were forbidden. Apparently they wrecked
        the roads which were made of dirt.
      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004

          >A thought penetrated my thick skull and made me wonder something. Was there
          >anything like a covered wagon, carriage, or anything similar used in period?
          >Anything to carry supplies or people from point A to point B? Horse-drawn or
          >otherwise? And something bigger than the personal single-occupent carriers
          >(exact name fails me)?

          It depends on who you are and where you are trying to get to. The kuge
          traveled around Heiankyou in oxcarts which were rather like rooms on two
          wheels. For long distance travel, people with enough wealth would ride
          in a smaller version suspended on a pole carried by bearers. These
          came in several varieties and in its simplest form was an open air
          platform with the rider holding onto a piece of cloth suspended from the
          pole to keep from falling off.

          Supplies were generally carried in a wooden box on a porter's back or
          possibly suspended from a pole carried by several porters.

          As for "wrecking the roads". What roads? While these roads may at times
          been somewhat broad, you have to understand that Japan is about 90%
          mountainous. Futher, the mountains are pretty much volcanic or made out
          of similarly tough rock. While you do encounter muck in towns and between
          rice paddies, a lot of these "roads" really are in less danger of these
          wheeled vehicles than the wheeled vehicles are in danger of the roads.

          Sorry, no connestoga wagons need apply.

          | trash by my email filters. |