Period Wagon?

  • Yamashiro Kato'
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
      Konnichiwa,

      A thought penetrated my thick skull and made me wonder something. Was there
      anything like a covered wagon, carriage, or anything similar used in period?
      Anything to carry supplies or people from point A to point B? Horse-drawn or
      otherwise? And something bigger than the personal single-occupent carriers
      (exact name fails me)?

      Domo arrigato.
      -A nip named Kato

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • Alcyoneus
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
        In Europe, there was. Visually, they appear to be not that different than
        'prairee schooners'. The tops may have been removable for use as market
        stalls, I've seen pics of markets like that. I've also seen architecture
        that was labeled as having a 'wagon' styled ceiling. They rather resembled
        the round topped portable garages you can buy.

        Alcyoneus

        At 09:20 AM 11/5/2004 -0800, you wrote:

        >Konnichiwa,
        >
        >A thought penetrated my thick skull and made me wonder something. Was there
        >anything like a covered wagon, carriage, or anything similar used in period?
        >Anything to carry supplies or people from point A to point B? Horse-drawn or
        >otherwise? And something bigger than the personal single-occupent carriers
        >(exact name fails me)?
        >
        >Domo arrigato.
        >-A nip named Kato

        >Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        >www.yahoo.com

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >---
        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      • jeremy_kroeker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
          I couldn't give you a source for this information. But apparently
          during the muromachi and edo period (approx.) wheeled anything that
          needed a horse on the highways were forbidden. Apparently they wrecked
          the roads which were made of dirt.
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004

            >A thought penetrated my thick skull and made me wonder something. Was there
            >anything like a covered wagon, carriage, or anything similar used in period?
            >Anything to carry supplies or people from point A to point B? Horse-drawn or
            >otherwise? And something bigger than the personal single-occupent carriers
            >(exact name fails me)?

            It depends on who you are and where you are trying to get to. The kuge
            traveled around Heiankyou in oxcarts which were rather like rooms on two
            wheels. For long distance travel, people with enough wealth would ride
            in a smaller version suspended on a pole carried by bearers. These
            came in several varieties and in its simplest form was an open air
            platform with the rider holding onto a piece of cloth suspended from the
            pole to keep from falling off.

            Supplies were generally carried in a wooden box on a porter's back or
            possibly suspended from a pole carried by several porters.

            As for "wrecking the roads". What roads? While these roads may at times
            been somewhat broad, you have to understand that Japan is about 90%
            mountainous. Futher, the mountains are pretty much volcanic or made out
            of similarly tough rock. While you do encounter muck in towns and between
            rice paddies, a lot of these "roads" really are in less danger of these
            wheeled vehicles than the wheeled vehicles are in danger of the roads.

            Sorry, no connestoga wagons need apply.

            | trash by my email filters. |