Re: Sneak Previews

  • Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
      Makiwara-dono

      When taming the brush...
      it seems the thoughts must be stilled
      so the ink can flow...
      poetry is elegant
      training for this samurai...

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko" <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...>
      wrote:

      > Well, I've mailed off my article to TI <snip>
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@c...>
        wrote:

        > Another trick that people might try on the fans is to size the
        > paper.

        OK, so what does sizing do, exactly, since you've brought it up?

        > Recipe from a fabulous book called "Japanese Bookbinding" by
        > Ikegami. Available from many used book stores via abe.com, etc.
        > and libraries. (Alameda County has it) This is a how-to book! It
        > was published in 1986, so I suspect many of the American sources
        > mentioned have changed names or moved.

        Arghh! No more projects, Jim, please! You're a bad, bad man! (I
        seem to recall having seen a copy of it at Kinokuniya awhile back. I
        resisted temptation at the time, but it looked really good.

        M.
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Date Saburou Yukiie" <kabuto@c...>
          wrote:
          > When taming the brush...
          > it seems the thoughts must be stilled
          > so the ink can flow...
          > poetry is elegant
          > training for this samurai...

          Footprints of sea birds
          Traced out upon palest sands
          Are as my poor words,
          Hasty tracks at the mercy
          Of the tide's rush, wind - and time.

          Makiwara
        • cschutrick
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
            > OK, so what does sizing do, exactly, since you've brought it up?

            I don't know if it means the same thing in paper as it does in
            fabric, but isn't 'sizing' roughly "stuff we put on the fabric to
            make it have a certain feel"? I have the idea that this is where
            people get the notion that silk e.g. is delicate: washing it removes
            the sizing, changing the way it drapes, though the fiber hasn't
            actually been harmed.

            So putting sizing on your paper might make it easier to work with.

            --Jeannette
          • mokurai
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
              May have been posted here before, but these are the best visual fundoshi
              tyeing instructions I have seen yet...

              http://homepage1.nifty.com/koshifumi/fdc-02.html

              - mokurai