Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese equivalent of "Don"

  • John Mooers
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 29, 2004
      Perhaps it would be better NOT to worry about it. Since orientals (and others) are merely guests in European medieval society we do not concern ourselves with occidental titles. If a Japanese, Chinese, or Aztec persona is knighted they are Sir, Master, Dame as they prefer or swear to. Knighthood is a european concept of fealty and homage. Status in our culture depends on birth and achievement in period, while in the SCA it may rest upon accomplishment and service. Let the Europeans use their terms since it's their award. Samurai returning to Japan after being made "Duke of Erehwon" might be thought mad unless they had substance to back them up. Titles, peerage and politics are always ultimately local in effect.

      Solveig <nostrand@...> wrote:Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! While I can imagine the context in which someone
      would simply refer to someone else as "meijin", I doubt that this use
      corresponds well with what we do in the Society.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT