OH my goodness the puns are flying -translation question

  • Tim adams
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
      never got a firm reply on this

      Semper Fertalis

      Always Fertal
      from the fact that the Barony always seems to have a few people pregnant..

      translation??
      I have Sloviegs name book but wantted to make sure that this did not have
      another word/kanji for this

      eihi is what I am considering

      Tadamitsu

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
        Tim adams wrote:
        > never got a firm reply on this
        >
        > Semper Fertalis
        >
        > Always Fertal
        > from the fact that the Barony always seems to have a few people pregnant..
        >
        > translation??
        > I have Sloviegs name book but wantted to make sure that this did not have
        > another word/kanji for this
        >
        > eihi is what I am considering

        I don't think that's quite right. For one thing, it's rather dangerous to try to
        coin a neologism without really having a hand on what the parts all mean. (The
        Japanese do it all the time, taking bits and pieces of English words and making
        new ones that usually leave native English speakers scratching their heads. One
        of my favorites is "Portopia" -- a meshing of "port" and "utopia" as a luxurious
        seaside resort area.)

        Koeru (the verb for "hi") has implications of growing, filling out, fattening,
        developing, and so forth. Fertility -- as in the ability to sprogify -- is
        "seisanryoku."

        "Eikyuu naru seisanryoku" is "perpetual fertility."

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
      • Tim adams
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
          >I don't think that's quite right. For one thing, it's >rather dangerous to try to coin a neologism without >really having a hand on what the parts all mean.
          yeah I figured this was not correct hence the
          questions.

          >Koeru (the verb for "hi") has implications of growing, >filling out, fattening, developing, and so forth. >Fertility -- as in the ability to sprogify -- is
          >"seisanryoku."

          >"Eikyuu naru seisanryoku" is "perpetual fertility."
          would you be willing to do that in Kanji for me?
          thanks
          Tadamitsu

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
            Tim adams wrote:

            > would you be willing to do that in Kanji for me?

            Sure thing!

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2004
              duht!!!
              how do I make my email see that?

              Tadamitsu
              or will you be going to crown tourney here soon?

              "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote:
              Tim adams wrote:

              > would you be willing to do that in Kanji for me?

              Sure thing!

              Anthony J. Bryant
              Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

              Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel: