Noob needs advice, please

  • Gideon Deschain
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
      Greetings all
      (kanichiwa?)...

      So, I joined this page as part of my efforts and desire to create a Japanese
      SCA persona. So I have done a LOT of reading in the past few weeks (MUCH
      of which has come from the files and folks of this WONDERFUL site) and I
      believe that I have chosen a name (I feel that the name of a persona is crucial
      to "fleshing it out"). I would be grateful and honored if those that know more
      than I would give their opinions of that name before I announce it and look
      like an idiot if I did it wrong. ;)
      My persona name is:

      Yamamoto no Kinjiro Takemori

      Is this of the correct form? Also, would the informal version to friends be
      "Jiro"?

      Final question: I belong to House Darkspire and hold a "supervisory"-type
      position (for lack of the best word) based on a geographical territory but is
      only relevant in terms of my house. What is the protocol for using a word like
      "daimyo" in a household setting?
      Thanks to all of you for having this excellent resource available, it REALLY
      helped me look at some very intimidating information (the whole of Japanese
      history) in a way that made it manageable as well as quite interesting.

      --Gideon--
      (for now) ;)
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
        Gideon Deschain wrote:

        > Greetings all
        > (kanichiwa?)...

        Close. Konnichi wa. :)

        > So, I joined this page as part of my efforts and desire to create a Japanese
        > SCA persona. So I have done a LOT of reading in the past few weeks (MUCH
        > of which has come from the files and folks of this WONDERFUL site) and I
        > believe that I have chosen a name (I feel that the name of a persona is crucial
        > to "fleshing it out"). I would be grateful and honored if those that know more
        > than I would give their opinions of that name before I announce it and look
        > like an idiot if I did it wrong. ;)
        > My persona name is:
        >
        > Yamamoto no Kinjiro Takemori
        >
        > Is this of the correct form? Also, would the informal version to friends be
        > "Jiro"?

        I'd drop the "no".

        For very close friends, yes, that could be appropriate. Most friends would just
        use Takemori, though.

        > Final question: I belong to House Darkspire and hold a "supervisory"-type
        > position (for lack of the best word) based on a geographical territory but is
        > only relevant in terms of my house. What is the protocol for using a word like
        > "daimyo" in a household setting?

        It's totally inappropriate. Sorry.

        Daimyo is a *landed* title -- it has nothing to do with clans or households or
        families. Landed barons, princes, and kings could get away with it, but as a
        rule I strongly suggest that people try to stave off any usages of "daimyo" for
        a household head.

        > Thanks to all of you for having this excellent resource available, it REALLY
        > helped me look at some very intimidating information (the whole of Japanese
        > history) in a way that made it manageable as well as quite interesting.

        We try. Err... we're trying. Um... wait... sigh.

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
      • Gideon Deschain
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004
          Effingham...thanks a LOT for the comments and honesty (I'd rather find these
          things out here than in front of, say, my Baroness (who is also my friend)! :)
          Funny that you should answer...I did LOT of reading from your "miscellany"
          pages about names, modes of address and so forth ( a lot of it gets VERY
          confusing). I've realized just how big a difference it makes to grow up
          immersed in your own culture, how much that you learn is taken for granted.
          Well, let's try again (practice makes perfect)...
          let's see here...
          domo arigato, sensei (senpai?).

          Konnichi wa. (better? :) )
          --Takemori hachi-i-- :)
          (Gideon)
          (still trying!) :)

        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2004

            >Daimyo is a *landed* title -- it has nothing to do with clans or households or
            >families. Landed barons, princes, and kings could get away with it, but as a
            >rule I strongly suggest that people try to stave off any usages of
            >"daimyo" for a household head.

            Very technically, a "daimyou" is someone with a large land holding. These
            people usually held the office of "shugo". Regardless, I would not
            recommend using either of these for someone who is not at least a baron.

            During the kamakura and muromachi period, a daimyou was a military official
            holding an office of shugo or jito.

            During the Tokugawa period, a daimyou was any member of the buke with
            agricultural income in excess of 10,000 koku.

            All of these have land-holding and land rents of significant extent in common.

            | trash by my email filters. |
          • Gideon Deschain
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
              Thank you VERY much for the information, Noble Cousin Solveig!
              --Takemori--

              > Noble Cousins!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > >Daimyo is a *landed* title -- it has nothing to do with clans or
              households or
              > >families. Landed barons, princes, and kings could get away with
              it, but as a
              > >rule I strongly suggest that people try to stave off any usages
              of
              > >"daimyo" for a household head.
              >
              > Very technically, a "daimyou" is someone with a large land
              holding. These
              > people usually held the office of "shugo". Regardless, I would not
              > recommend using either of these for someone who is not at least a
              baron.

              > During the kamakura and muromachi period, a daimyou was a military
              official
              > holding an office of shugo or jito.
              >
              > During the Tokugawa period, a daimyou was any member of the buke
              with
              > agricultural income in excess of 10,000 koku.
              >
              > All of these have land-holding and land rents of significant
              extent in common.
              > --
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar
              >
              > +------------------------------------------------------------------
              ---------+
              > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
              CoS, Fleur |
              > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
              Est |
              > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
              > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically
              routed to the |
              > | trash by my email
              filters. |