minamoto no yoshihira

  • jeremy_kroeker
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2004
      I've seen a really neat looking picture of minamoto no yoshihira (a
      fictional drawing of him in his armor) but really nice. I was
      wondering if any one has or knows of actual pictures of his armor.

      Jeremy Kroeker
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "jeremy_kroeker" <xlt1000@h...> wrote:

        > I've seen a really neat looking picture of minamoto no yoshihira (a
        > fictional drawing of him in his armor) but really nice. I was
        > wondering if any one has or knows of actual pictures of his armor.

        In general, the type of armour that he would have worn is known as
        o-yoroi. A pretty good diagram is at:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/36.htm

        If you already knew that, I apologize for the needless reply. I have
        no specific info on Minamoto Yoshihira.

        Otagiri
        http://tousando.proboards18.com
      • jeremy_kroeker
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2004
          Thanks but I know what general minamoto armor looked like. I'm looking
          for something from a national japanese treasure archive (or something
          like that). I've seen a national japanese treasure archive from
          Anthony J. Bryant's site. I can't read it though and it looks
          incomplete too. I may have actually seen it looking through that
          archive or another site encrypted in un-understandable random
          characters because my computer can generate the kanji, katakana and
          hiragana. This sucks because I could actually read it if my computer
          was compatible with the language packs.

          Jeremy Kroeker

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2004
            jeremy_kroeker wrote:

            > I've seen a really neat looking picture of minamoto no yoshihira (a
            > fictional drawing of him in his armor) but really nice. I was
            > wondering if any one has or knows of actual pictures of his armor.

            Only a handful of o-yoroi of that period survive with specific attributions of
            the people who had them -- and many of those attributions are suspect. The "big
            names" tend to make the suits more "impressive" and museums and shrines are not
            very concerned about investigated the provenance as the names attract people to
            come (pay to) see them.

            I definitely can't recall ever seeing one specifically attributed to Yoshihira.
            Granted that he was killed when he was about 19 or 20 makes him a candidate for
            the "awwwwwww, kawai-sou ni" factor; indeed, that is his ONLY claim to faim --
            that he died young and kinda tragically. Historically, he's a non-entity and a
            total cypher.

            Anthony J. Bryant
            Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

            Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel: