[SCA-JML] Yari (and gulf wars)

  • Ogami Itto
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
      Hey, everyone,
      I don't really expect that anyone will know the answer to this
      one, but here goes...
      I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
      about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
      16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
      and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
      Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
      long?
      Second, is there any furniture that I should have for a yari, or
      do you just put a slot in a long shaft and put mekugi through to hold
      the blade in place? (Then how do I hold the mekugi in place, without
      any tsuka-itto? Do I rivet the blade onto the shaft?) It seems like I
      can find lots of books dealing with sword, since they are artistic as
      well as functional, but yaris don't seem to qualify for much in the way
      of scholarly tomes.
      Finally, does anyone in this group planning on going to Gulf Wars?
      Be Well,
      Ogami
      Itto
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
        Finally, does anyone in this group planning on going to Gulf Wars?
        Be Well,
        Ogami
        Itto

        Sigh... If only...

        Longingly,
        Fujiwara
      • Joshua Badgley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
          On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Ogami Itto wrote:

          > Hey, everyone,
          > I don't really expect that anyone will know the answer to this
          > one, but here goes...
          > I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
          > about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
          > 16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
          > and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
          > Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
          > long?

          I don't know, but I will check and see what I can find for you here; I
          should have some pictures coming back in a week or so, but that might be
          too late, I don't know.

          Naginata, I know, varied widely, with huge blades of almost half the
          length of the pole on some, two only the last quarter or so. I don't know
          if the same was true of the yari.

          I will see what I can find for you.

          Ogambarikudasai,

          Godric Logan
          aka Joshua Badgley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2000
            Ogami Itto wrote:

            > Hey, everyone,
            > I don't really expect that anyone will know the answer to this
            > one, but here goes...
            > I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
            > about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
            > 16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
            > and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
            > Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
            > long?

            There was no set size; just as the shaft length can vary, so can the blade length. The
            tang is typically again the blade length or occasionally twice it. One (or two) mekugi
            pins, held exactly the way a sword blade it; mekugi through the shaft and tang.

            > Second, is there any furniture that I should have for a yari, or
            > do you just put a slot in a long shaft and put mekugi through to hold
            > the blade in place? (Then how do I hold the mekugi in place, without
            > any tsuka-itto?

            Tsuka ito is irrelevant. The mekugi is located at the interstices on a tsuka; you don't
            have to unwrap the hilt to pull the pin.

            Effingham/
            Hiraizumi
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26, 2000
              Hiraizumi Dono!

              Greetings from Solveig! Do I hear the confessions of a secret samurai?
              I am reminded of those Ramen Operas on television where you can always
              tell the "undercover daimyo" because all of his clothes are clean and
              his hair looks like it was just arranged. Then there was the show about
              the secret undercover police who at climatic moments in every episode
              pull out and display an inro.

              Now then, are you still really sure that you aren't a Ninja as per our
              electronic conversation of about four years ago? (As you might recall,
              you insisted that a Ninja at Pennsic would wear western clothing and
              call himself something inocuous like "Henry" or "Edward".)

              | techie.com |
            • Markejag@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2000
                Greetings Noble gentles!

                One possilbe answer to:

                << I am in the process of making a jumonji-yari. I was making it
                about the length that yari typically appear to be in the movies (about
                16"). But on eBay a few days back, someone was selling a jumonji-yari,
                and they had it scaled to about 8" long, with a 16" tang. What gives?
                Is there a sort of maximum length, and is a 16" yari going to be way to
                long?>>

                Could be a variation of Yari-kanna (Japanese style wood planes). These had
                short handles, yari shaped spear tips, used to plane tree trunks into temple
                columns of uniform thickness and to flatten and shape large planks for floor
                boards. The shorter versions seen to day are for cabinetry and tansu. The
                large tang was necessary for controlling the yari-kanna when doing the final
                cuts of fine shavings of wood, but the handle did not have to be as long as a
                military yari.

                Fumio