[SCA-JML] Re: karaginu, other pretty toys

  • Ogami Itto
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2000

      > > Okay, so to avoid problems, how do I deal with making myself a
      > > kariginu? Would this be something that I should even bother trying
      > > make, if I am trying to do a mid-ranked samurai?

      > You probably don't need a kariginu. For samurai, that's the *most*
      formal
      > of formal wear, literally worn at court where royalty is around. In
      keeping
      > with Japanese esthetics, I wouldn't recommend a kariginu for anyone
      who's
      > not a brass hat of some sort, and principality/kingdom officer, or a
      peer.

      > Midrank's formal would be a hitatare/daimon (late period) or a suikan
      > (earlier period).

      This raises a few other questions in turn. First, if I were to
      make an appearance in a royal court, for instance, would a kariginu be
      a good thing or a bad thing? (By "appearance", I mean that I was
      actually asked to participate, either to recieve an award or to be part
      of the royal groupies.) In some of the notes in my book about the
      Tokugawa museum, it notes that in the Edo peiod, hitatare and
      naga-kamishimo were considered formal wear for the low and midrank
      samurai, while the kariginu was essentially only for those holding rank
      in the imperial court. Obviously, a naga-kamishimo is right out of the
      question. But, on the other hand, I seem to recall that hitatare was
      considered sort of a day-to-day item of clothing for mid-high level
      samurai.
      Second, this particular book states quite plainly that certain
      colors, weaves, cuts of fabric, paterns, garments, etc. ad naseum, were
      reserved for certain ranks. Did this hold true in the Azouchi
      (spelling?) and Momoyama periods as well?
      Domo arigato
      guzaimasu,
      Ogami Itto
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2000
        Mind if I jump in here, Effy-chan?

        Ogami-dono,

        If I may help to answer your questions about the kariginu...

        > You probably don't need a kariginu. For samurai, that's the *most*
        formal
        > of formal wear, literally worn at court where royalty is around. In
        keeping
        > with Japanese esthetics, I wouldn't recommend a kariginu for anyone
        who's
        > not a brass hat of some sort, and principality/kingdom officer, or a
        peer.

        > Midrank's formal would be a hitatare/daimon (late period) or a suikan
        > (earlier period).

        This raises a few other questions in turn. First, if I were to
        make an appearance in a royal court, for instance, would a kariginu be
        a good thing or a bad thing? (By "appearance", I mean that I was
        actually asked to participate, either to recieve an award or to be part
        of the royal groupies.) In some of the notes in my book about the
        Tokugawa museum, it notes that in the Edo peiod, hitatare and
        naga-kamishimo were considered formal wear for the low and midrank
        samurai, while the kariginu was essentially only for those holding rank
        in the imperial court. Obviously, a naga-kamishimo is right out of the
        question. But, on the other hand, I seem to recall that hitatare was
        considered sort of a day-to-day item of clothing for mid-high level
        samurai.

        If I were you, I would have a kariginu to wear for appearances in court. I
        just made one for my Master for him to wear when he attends Their Majesties.
        Of course it matters what period you are protraying and what rank you hold.

        Second, this particular book states quite plainly that certain
        colors, weaves, cuts of fabric, paterns, garments, etc. ad naseum, were
        reserved for certain ranks. Did this hold true in the Azouchi
        (spelling?) and Momoyama periods as well?

        Every period had it's own sumptuary laws, including Azuchi and Momoyama. I
        am at a loss, however, to tell you exactly what they are.

        Respectfully,
        Fujiwara no Aoi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 18, 2000
          Kass McGann wrote:

          > Mind if I jump in here, Effy-chan?

          Go-enryounaku, ne!

          > Every period had it's own sumptuary laws, including Azuchi and Momoyama. I
          > am at a loss, however, to tell you exactly what they are.

          Ummm... complicated? <G> The nice thing about a large chunk of Azuchi-Momoyama
          is that there was a rather chaotic social order in place. Until around 1585,
          you could pretty much "roll on your charisma" as they say out West.