Eurocentrism in the SCA, was Re: Japanese A&S

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 152 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
      wrote:
      > As strange as it may seem coming from a bushi who has participated
      in
      > the SCA for over 20 years, I don't think that we should.

      As an SCA member who plays both as a European and a Japanese, I don't
      think we need to. There were fantasy characters at the First Tourney,
      for goodness sake. The SCA hasn't been able to keep out 17th century
      lace-aholics who fight with car antennae or 18th century pyrates.
      We're here. We exist, and we're not going away. If living well is the
      best revenge, portraying Japanese to the very best of our abilities
      should likewise be sufficient reward for our efforts.

      Besides, I LIKE being provocative,
      Makiwara
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 152 of 152 , Nov 10, 2004
        O-tanjobi ni omedetou gozaimasu! (*Happy Birthday!)

        229 years--older than the nation (yup, 11/10/1775). ;)

        -Ii