Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese A&S

  • John Mooers
    Message 1 of 152 , Oct 1, 2004
      Reviewing the CORPORA (Revised 2004): As a living history group, the Society provides an environment in which members can recreate various aspects of the culture and technology of the period, as well as doing more traditional historical research. We sponsor events such as tournaments and feasts where members dress in clothing styles worn in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and participate in activities based on the civil and martial skills of the period. These activities recreate aspects of the life and culture of the landed nobility in Europe prior to 1600 CE. The dress, pastimes, and above all the chivalric ideals of the period serve to unify our events and activities. For Society members, most of the world, and all of the centuries prior to the 17th, can serve as a source for personal research. However, the further you go from the core of Medieval and Renaissance Europe, the less the environment we offer will resemble what someone of your time and country would find natural or
      homelike. For example, you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court, but you cannot expect others to share your special interests - like any long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to adapt to the customs you find around you. Since members have free choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place, since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own interests in other times and places. Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an attempt at pre-17th century clothing, conforms to the provisions in Corpora, and complies with any other requirements (such as site fees or waivers) which may be imposed. At business meetings and informal classes, the requirement to wear pre-17th century dress may be waived. All participants are expected to behave as ladies or gentlemen.

      Let us petition to have the words Europe and European removed from Corpora. What a load of dingo's kidneys...On the same page it states:

      "you must adapt to the customs you find around you," AND " Since members have free choice of what areas they will explore, it follows that Society branches cannot decide to specialize in a specific time and place, since that would make it hard for members there to pursue their own interests in other times and places."

      So I can go to any SCA event in pre-17th century garb and be accepted, so long as it's european. Arab personas are not persecuted in the way orientals are, yet they are not from Europe. Ambassadors to other courts or guests were not forced to change clothing or styles of speach were they? Long term visitors to another land do not tend to adapt well to customs newly found around them. They know it's only temporary and cherish their homelands and culture. Ambassadors give gifts and show off their native ways as part of the job. Immigrants, however, tend to form closed communities in their new lands. Eurpoe is littered with former ghettos. In the US chinatowns, russian markets are well known examples of this behavior. Assimilation takes generations, not decades. The Amish STILL have not "adapted to the customs around" them. The Mongols seem acceptable in this eurocentric envirionment, yet the mongols were assimilated into China in the fullness of time.

      Shall we start the petition to remove "Europe" from Corpora? I'm game.

      SCA for ALL times and ALL places.

      Date Toshinobu, Esq
      Former Seneschal, Marshall, A&S minister, and Landed Baron.

      Date Saburou Yukiie <kabuto@...> wrote:

      I once entered a prize tourney A.S. competition at Pennsic...I
      entered one of my ebira...totally period in craftsmanship...and was
      shot down by the Lady (I use the term loosely...) who was running it.
      I got the old - "...that aint period, it is not european, and you
      will never get so much as a point if I am running the show..."
      spiel...
      The "lady" had no tact, was totally biggoted in terms of what she
      thought should be in an A.S. competetion...and told me where I could
      go to put my entry...
      I have never put another entry in an A.S. competition...
      This goes to show me that the odds are still stacked against us
      Jappos...and it is all the more reason why we should keep fighting to
      get Non-Euro persona accepted...
      I say bung to the Euro-trash...and hope art minded people will see
      the effort some of us "Asians" put into our work...
      Sigh...
      Still...everyone keep plugging...perhaps one day we will get there...

      Date, who is tired of Western Bigotry....

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Shannon" <professor03@h...>
      wrote:
      > > From: "Heidi Lyn" <akeakemai@a...>
      > >Subject: Re: Japanese A&S
      > >

      > >Actually, the "Laurel's prize tourney" that I was referring to is
      a bit of
      > >a spin on
      > >the "artisan's displays" that I have participated in (although I
      would love
      > >to see
      > >the Laurel's prize tourney you describe here to be imported to
      some of the
      > >events I go to!!) In this display, you are invited to sit with
      your artwork
      > >during a
      > >specific time period and Laurels are invited to make their rounds
      during
      > >that
      > >same time period, to stop at the various displays and give
      feedback (alot
      > >like
      > >the A&S poster session that was asked about a couple of posts
      ago). In this
      > >particular case, they do mention that prizes will be awarded, but
      I'm not
      > >sure
      > >I'll even be staying for that.
      > >
      > >Tsukime
      > >
      > > > Makiwara
      > >

      > All of this talk about A&S stuff is making me want to enter some of
      the work
      > I have been done and have been working on lately.
      >
      > But I'm sure the event is on a Saturday when I have class....
      > Bummer for me!
      >

      > Sylvester Burchardt
      > East Kingdom
      >
      > m.k.a. Douglas Shannon

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 152 of 152 , Nov 10, 2004
        O-tanjobi ni omedetou gozaimasu! (*Happy Birthday!)

        229 years--older than the nation (yup, 11/10/1775). ;)

        -Ii