Re: Linen in the Heian

  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 3:10 PM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, michiru347@a... wrote:
      > If anyone would like to to launch into a discussion of period
      fibres (not silk... although if you want to launch off into that, who
      am I to stop you?) and who wore what or perhaps direct me towards a
      website, periodical, or text or maybe even a bibliography?

      Try these:
      Minnich, Helen Benton. Japanese Costume and the Makers of Its Elegant
      Tradition. Tokyo: Charles E. Tuttle Co., 1963

      Stinchecum, Amanda Meyer. Kosode: 16th-19th Century Textiles From The
      Nomura Collection. New York: Japan Society in association with
      Kodansha International, 1984 (ISBN 0-913304-18-2).

      I'm not a fiber geek, but these two discuss textiles and their
      decoration at length. The latter, in particular, goes into the
      minutiae of plant dyes, weaves, etc.

      Makiwara