Re: [SCA-JML] Just Catching up...

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
      Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:
      > Ii-dono,
      > Ogenki desuka, tomodachi?
      > Hey - you want to hear something that is a hoot?
      > I sold five of my hand made lacquered ebira to Yumi (Jaap
      > Koppedrayer) at pennsic, so he could re-sell them some where...
      > He took them to his International Horse Archery Festival in Fort
      > Dodge, and Shibata Sensei gave them a stern looking over - he really
      > liked them, and was kind enough to give me some constructive critique
      > on future models...

      Have you gotten any feedback you can use?

      > But the really cool thing is that there were members from the Takeda
      > Ryu Yabusame group there doing demos. One of the riders checked out
      > my ebira, and actually purchased one to take back to show the head of
      > the school! How cool is that!

      Indeed -- How frikkin' cool is that! Way to go!!

      > I have a question for you - I need a simple translation, but I am not
      > as skilled as you. Could you please translate the phrase...
      > "Never give a sword to a child" into japanese. I have a hard time
      > with the imperative negative...the "never" part...

      I don't think you'd need to bother with the "never" -- it's implied in the
      blanket prohibitive.

      "Kodomo ni katana wo watashite wa ikenai" -- or if you want something more
      classical, "Kodomo ni katana wo watasu bekarazu." (Or, indeed, "katana wa kodomo
      ni watasu bekarazu.")

      Anthony J. Bryant
      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
      http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
    • DinoKruz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        Do you have photos of your ebira - I'd like to see the great job you did.

        Regards,
        Kyostti