Looking for source for Rice Straw for making Waraji and Shimenawa.

  • John Hidalgo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hello All,

      I am looking for source for rice straw for making waraji and
      shimenawa. If anyone has a souce I would greatly appreciate them
      posting it.

      Thanks for your help.

      Take care,
      John Hidalgo
      www.texasshinto.org
      www.roundrockbujinkan.com
      "Seek freedom and become a slave to your desires. Seek discipline
      and discover your liberty."
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John Hidalgo" <oniyama@t...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > I am looking for source for rice straw for making waraji and
        > shimenawa. If anyone has a souce I would greatly appreciate them
        > posting it.

        You might try here:
        http://www.ricestrawmarket.org/php/search.php

        Makiwara
      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
          --- John Hidalgo <oniyama@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I am looking for source for rice straw for making
          > waraji and
          > shimenawa. If anyone has a souce I would greatly
          > appreciate them
          > posting it.

          If you cannot find rice straw easily, you might try
          substituting raffia. I have used raffia (at Ii-dono's
          suggestion) for waraji with excellent and surprisingly
          durable results. Raffia is available at most
          craftstores.

          Ki no Izumi called Kobayashi

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • raijin31
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
            Greetings,

            Also, for a substitution, I recently made a pair of waraji to use
            while fighting. I used jute for the warp and 1/4" manilla for the
            weft. So far, they have been VERY sturdy and very durable, and have
            a better appearance than just using straight jute...

            Otoshi

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@y...> wrote:

            > --- John Hidalgo <oniyama@t...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello All,
            > >
            > > I am looking for source for rice straw for making
            > > waraji and
            > > shimenawa. If anyone has a souce I would greatly
            > > appreciate them
            > > posting it.
            > >
            > If you cannot find rice straw easily, you might try
            > substituting raffia. I have used raffia (at Ii-dono's
            > suggestion) for waraji with excellent and surprisingly
            > durable results. Raffia is available at most
            > craftstores.
            >
            > Ki no Izumi called Kobayashi

          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
              Have you checked with someone like the California Rice Commission
              (http://www.calrice.org/home.htm)? They may have suggestions. Otherwise,
              raffia works for some things.

              -Ii

              On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, John Hidalgo wrote:

              > Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:17:16 -0000
              > From: John Hidalgo <oniyama@...>
              > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [SCA-JML] Looking for source for Rice Straw for making Waraji and
              > Shimenawa.
              >
              > Hello All,
              >
              > I am looking for source for rice straw for making waraji and
              > shimenawa. If anyone has a souce I would greatly appreciate them
              > posting it.
              >
              > Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Take care,
              > John Hidalgo
              > www.texasshinto.org
              > www.roundrockbujinkan.com
              > "Seek freedom and become a slave to your desires. Seek discipline
              > and discover your liberty."

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Douglas Shannon
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
                > From: "raijin31" <raijin31@...>
                >Subject: Re: substitues (was: source for Rice Straw for making Waraji)
                >
                >Greetings,
                >
                >Also, for a substitution, I recently made a pair of waraji to use
                >while fighting. I used jute for the warp and 1/4" manilla for the
                >weft. So far, they have been VERY sturdy and very durable, and have
                >a better appearance than just using straight jute...
                >
                >Otoshi

                I too made a pair or waraji for fighting.
                But I was thrown out of the lists and forced to put on a more conventional
                style of foot wear in order to continue fighting.

                I made mine out of 3/8 sisal twine that I seperated down to individual
                strands.
                I have worn them at several events including an Aethalmarc Spring War Camp
                and potions of a Pennsic. There is limited wear on the soles and they seem
                to be holding up very well.

                Silvester Burchardt
                East Kingdom