About Ishida Mitsunari...

  • jeremy_kroeker
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 1:40 PM
      Does anyone have pictures of Ishida Mitsunari armor. I'm not talking
      about just the helmet, I'm talking about the whole thing.

      Jeremy Kroeker
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30 3:35 PM
        jeremy_kroeker wrote:

        > Does anyone have pictures of Ishida Mitsunari armor. I'm not talking
        > about just the helmet, I'm talking about the whole thing.

        I wasn't sure if any of his armours even survived -- given that he was one of
        the biggest losers in Japanese history, I didn't expect there to be any
        concerted attempt at preserving his stuff.

        I did find one picture -- a tiny B&W one -- in the Gakken Rekishi Gazô series
        book on Mitsuhide, however. It must be the only one, as the series art directors
        usually droolingly go over the armour of the people that they present.

        The photo depicts a (black? brown?) nuinobe do laced in a pale color; the
        kusazuri are gold (also laced in a pale color), and the bottom plate is covered
        with bear fur. The kote are Etchû-style (that is, covered in mail with tiny
        rectangular ikada [plates] over the forearm and upper arm). It doesn't show
        sode. The haidate is also Etchû-style; mail-covered, with small ikada. The
        helmet appears to be a 62- or 72-plate bowl, with a very small disc-shaped front
        crest. There's a hanbô as well. The suneate are splint-construction.

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder