Re: Linen & SilkNames/Trouble Afoot/Poetry

  • Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2004
      Konnichi wa, "Erizabetu,"
      When I first wrote "Erizabetu" I was spooning the Japanese inability
      to voice the "l".
      When written in western hand, it would be written the same way you
      normally write your name. When written in katakana, (used for foriegn
      names) or hiragana (then, a mostly Lady's hand) there is no "l"
      sound, the closest fit being "Erizabetu", written in five kana...E-Ri-
      Za-Be-Tu...
      A Japanese would say it that way, but a "contemporary" westerner
      would say it normally.
      Mind you that this would only be after the Portuguese and the Dutch
      got to Japan, which is to say late period. There were no "baptismal"
      names prior to their coming, as Christianity was not known before
      then in Japan.
      Numerous people were converted to Christianity, especially in the
      southern kuni, closer to Tanegashima. Churches really sprang up in
      the southern locales.

      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Yama Kaminari Ryu
      (who lived way up North, in Mutsu and Dewa, till the fight to re-
      enstate the Rightful Emperor Go Daigo took him all over Japan...of
      course, that was in the 1330's, ancient history for many folk...
      I hope history remembers our struggle... heh heh heh

      > Greetings from Solveig! Elizabetu is a period Japanese baptismal
      name.
      > --
      >

      > I appreciate your good news; just checking though.... would the 'L'
      be re-written as an 'R', or left that way an just pronounced as
      > 'Erizabetu'....?
      >
      > For a real period name, meaningful perhaps only to myself, I'm
      thinking of letting time and experience show me the path. I am a
      > mother, a health care provider (trauma nurse), and former martial
      artist who wants to get back into practice (& shape, lol).

      > My Native American patients who have experience with their shamans
      and traditional practices generally tell me that I am a natural
      > healer and teacher; my upbringing, before martial arts, was one
      that emphasized integrity, honesty, and responsibility. I was a
      > leadership instructor in the army, for those ready to be promoted
      to sergeant, in both class and field strategy. My martial
      > experience, and former employment in a family-owned Japanese
      restaurant added the rest. (I filled in while family members went back
      > to Japan for vacation or business --- they insisted on feeding me,
      but I refused wages--the honor of their esteem was sufficient