Book-- Literature (and in an aside, reply to silks) Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Poetry foray

  • Elizabeth Chase
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24 12:15 PM
      This is the book:

      Keene, Donald, Editor and Compiler. Anthology of Japanese Literature from the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century. New York:
      Grove Press, 1960. 18th printing. 444 pages. Softcover.

      I have a copy of Sei Shonagon's "The Pillow Book". Read it looonnnngggg time ago in a former life, when I actively trained in
      Shotokan karate. Time to get it out again.

      My thanks to you and the others for the names of reference materials.

      I love the two color Thai silk.... e.g. blue one warp, red weft.. makes purple shadows and highlights.... but it doesn't seem
      period. Nice for mundane wear though. Here's an example of what I mean; you might have to copy and paste it into your browser if
      the link doesn't work. Or, just go to eBay and look at the seller 'OregonSilver'. They will send you 3 samples of their fabric for
      free.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28158&item=8132881856&rd=1

      I'll most like get into dyeing and painting fabric when I get more comfortable, and have the space.

      Ack. Have to go to work now. Thanks again, everyone....

      **bows deeply**

      Lizzie

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24 12:22 PM
        > I love the two color Thai silk.... e.g. blue one warp,
        > red weft.. makes purple shadows and highlights....
        > but it doesn't seem period.

        I don't know about that particular color combination, but there are
        a couple of Heian-era outfits that are specifically made with fabric
        that has a warp of one color and a weft of another. They're both
        summer-weight and stiff, but the two-color thing happened.

        --Jeannette
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24 1:45 PM
          cschutrick wrote:

          > > I love the two color Thai silk.... e.g. blue one warp,
          > > red weft.. makes purple shadows and highlights....
          > > but it doesn't seem period.
          >
          > I don't know about that particular color combination, but there are
          > a couple of Heian-era outfits that are specifically made with fabric
          > that has a warp of one color and a weft of another. They're both
          > summer-weight and stiff, but the two-color thing happened.
          >
          > --Jeannette

          Just be careful not to use the Dupioni silk...it is often woven that way
          and is lovely...but because of the "slubs" in it, is, as I understand
          it, not something that would have been used by the Japanese in period.

          Kiri
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 24 2:22 PM
            On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:

            > Just be careful not to use the Dupioni silk...it is often woven that way
            > and is lovely...but because of the "slubs" in it, is, as I understand
            > it, not something that would have been used by the Japanese in period.

            Yeah, this is where I am split between what is better: poly-rayon that
            gets the right look (not generally recommended, but I'm coming to wonder
            about some of the stiffer fabrics, which are hard to keep properly stiff)
            or actual silk, but of a kind that they wouldn't have used?

            Generally, if the slubs are small and few enough, I would figure on using
            it--probably go with the 10' rule. That said, I've yet to find some that
            I was willing to pay for--just too much of a dilemma in my mind.

            Sigh.

            -Ii
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 24 2:53 PM
              Ii Saburou wrote:

              > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:
              >
              > > Just be careful not to use the Dupioni silk...it is often woven that way
              > > and is lovely...but because of the "slubs" in it, is, as I understand
              > > it, not something that would have been used by the Japanese in period.
              >
              > Yeah, this is where I am split between what is better: poly-rayon that
              > gets the right look (not generally recommended, but I'm coming to wonder
              > about some of the stiffer fabrics, which are hard to keep properly stiff)
              > or actual silk, but of a kind that they wouldn't have used?
              >
              > Generally, if the slubs are small and few enough, I would figure on using
              > it--probably go with the 10' rule. That said, I've yet to find some that
              > I was willing to pay for--just too much of a dilemma in my mind.
              >
              > Sigh.
              >
              > -Ii

              Have you tried Fabric.com? They regularly have Dupioni on sale for
              9.95/yd for the 54" wide variety. And they usually have lots of lovely
              colors. I believe they currently have a "if you purchase x amount, you
              get a $xx.xx discount" sale.

              Kiri
            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 24 8:31 PM
                On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:

                > Have you tried Fabric.com? They regularly have Dupioni on sale for
                > 9.95/yd for the 54" wide variety. And they usually have lots of lovely
                > colors. I believe they currently have a "if you purchase x amount, you
                > get a $xx.xx discount" sale.

                It's my problem of actually wanting to see it, and still figuring out what
                my pocketbook says to my desire for fewer slubs.

                -Ii
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 24 8:56 PM
                  Ii Saburou wrote:

                  > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Elaine Koogler wrote:
                  >
                  > > Have you tried Fabric.com? They regularly have Dupioni on sale for
                  > > 9.95/yd for the 54" wide variety. And they usually have lots of lovely
                  > > colors. I believe they currently have a "if you purchase x amount, you
                  > > get a $xx.xx discount" sale.
                  >
                  > It's my problem of actually wanting to see it, and still figuring out
                  > what
                  > my pocketbook says to my desire for fewer slubs.
                  >
                  > -Ii

                  They don't actually send samples, but will let you purchase less than a
                  yard. I think I bought 1/2 yard of the colors I wanted to check
                  out...and am using them to make throw pillows! That way I was able to
                  see what it looked like...and what the colors were.

                  Kiri