[SCA-JML] Re: Tatami

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 10, 2000

      And, this was a Saji! We ate a full formal meal together in that room.
      I'm pretty sure that it was 4.5 mats. I am positive that it was no
      larger than 6.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 1, 2004

        Greetings from Solveig! Please check out the following site. They sell
        tatami and other stuff.

        http://www.tatamiroom.com/

        Nichibeibussan also sells tatami, clothing and other stuff.

        http://www.nbstore.com/

        Please consider buying real tatami and real kaki/shiki futon sets.
        They are really really nice.

      • Gary Williams
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 3, 2004
          The project to get my armor together is proceeding fairly well. I am using the Yama Kaminari design. As i was lacing together the sode the other day it occured to me i could turn this project into as A&S project as well. So I was thinking of doing the A&S on period Japanese lacing for 15th century armor. So of course 2 questions arise.

          1. How period is the Yama Kaminari design? I am making it out of barrel plastic, which is ok because everyone knows plastic barrels were being produced as early as the 12th century. :P

          2. Is the lacing techniques in the design period.

          So any advice, books, websites that can help me do the research on the lacing would be really helpful.

          Thanks,

          Cristen Fynlo (aka Gary Williams)

        • Matt L
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 24, 2004
            this request for information has appearantly gone unnoticed, so perhapse I
            can help ever so slightly, and probably refer you to sources you have
            already explored...

            first and formodst I have to say "check out effingham-dono's website" it
            has several main sections including such things as linguistics,
            miscilanious projects & articles, and perhapse the finest set of
            instructions for making authenticly styled armor on the web. (well atleast
            the most indepth information I have managed to locate so far<G>)

            I am far from an expert on the topic, but he includes a chapter dedicated
            to odoshi (lacing) and it's paterns which seems to me quite informative.
            further he las links to both english sites and japanese sites as well as an
            exensive bibliography that you can start hunting for in interlibrary loans.

            the URL of his site is http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/ or you can go directly
            to the armoring manual at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/0.Katchu.html

            unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
            <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non functional...
            but the other japanese language links for armor info appear to be fine,
            though you may need babblefish to read them... (which I have yet to try)

            you may also wish to do websearched on keywords such as odoshi, yoroi,
            sode, kebiki, kozane
            they may provide you with some useful links

            yoshimasa

            The project to get my armor together is proceeding fairly well. I am using
            the Yama Kaminari design. As i was lacing together the sode the other day
            it occured to me i could turn this project into as A&S project as well. So
            I was thinking of doing the A&S on period Japanese lacing for 15th century
            armor. So of course 2 questions arise.

            1. How period is the Yama Kaminari design? I am making it out of barrel
            plastic, which is ok because everyone knows plastic barrels were being
            produced as early as the 12th century. :P

            2. Is the lacing techniques in the design period.

            So any advice, books, websites that can help me do the research on the
            lacing would be really helpful.

            Thanks,

            Cristen Fynlo (aka Gary Williams)

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • otagiri_tatsuzo
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Matt L <mattlew@b...> wrote:

              > unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
              > <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non
              functional...

              The correct link should be
              http://www.kozando.co.jp/english/index_e.html

              Otagiri
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 27, 2004
                Matt L wrote:

                > unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                > <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non functional...
                > but the other japanese language links for armor info appear to be fine,
                > though you may need babblefish to read them... (which I have yet to try)

                They changed their URLs on me -- I have to update the link.

                For the record, when in doubt on a link like that, just go to the root URL -- in
                this case, http://www.kozando.co.jp and lo and behold, you have their website. <G>

                Effingham
              • Bryant Richards
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Question: Does anyone have a good source that sells lacing in bulk for lacing up armor? Something with different color options maybe. I tried the Lamellar armor site and they seem to be MIA (clicking on most of the links gives a CGI excceded error) any other ideas? I ask for bulks cause I am looking to buy enough to lace up about 6 sets of armor.

                  In Honor and Service,
                  Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                  House Chiburi

                • Charles Dodge
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Uesugi

                    Well I was going to send you to www.ricebraid.com but it seems the site is down. If you do a google search for ELC Rice Braid and click the cached link you can get an idea of what they had. Their sister site www.shopelc.com is still up but that is mostly military related braids.

                    On an off chance you could look up their contact info from the shopelc site and try calling them. They sell in 144yd rolls.

                    Nakos

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                      If you're willing to work with synthetics, you can buy bulk shoelaces online. Best of all, they already have aglets, which makes lacing a breeze.

                      The site I used, as recommended by the ever-so-helpful Baron Edward on the Odoshi page of Sengoku Daimyo is http://www.lacesforless.com/

                      Beware: few things are more entertaining than a box of loose shoelaces for those small, fuzzy domovoi that many call "cats"

                      Ryuta

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                        i used paracord.

                        550 paracord.

                        pull the inner strands out if you want it flat.
                        leave it with strands for the tough stuff.

                        ebay .
                        lots of colors.
                        lots.
                      • John Lyon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 3, 2009
                          I've had fantastic luck with just the Shoelaces from Shoelacesforless. I was
                          able to buy large amounts, of long laces. My Do is made of the Effingham
                          Kozane, so LOTS of lacing. I'm a big guy, and I think I ended up spending
                          $100-150 on shoe laces. They were great because they were nylon and I could
                          fuse the ends as I worked which was a great help. Having Nubs was also very
                          helpful for the lacing process. If your armor is going to be made of
                          plastic, the Shoelaces are going to be plenty tough for your application. If
                          your Do is going to be made of steel, you might just be SOL. My first set
                          was a sparse-laced 16G steel set. I used hockey lacing. Steel cut through
                          them quickly, and anything else I tried to use to replace it. With the
                          plastic I've been fighting for years and the only problem is that the lacing
                          has gotten stained from sweat and dirt. When you order from Lacesforless,
                          they will ask if you want it bundled or loose, get bundled. Then they tie
                          them together in pairs for you. If you get it loose then you just get this
                          big box of loose strings. Less fun than you might imagine, especially if you
                          are doing a lot of lacing.

                          --
                          "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                          things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

                          John Lyon
                          aka The Ugly Dragon
                          aka Kita Jiru Toramassa