new member

  • kenhoukou
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2004
      greetings i am a member of the SCA in the kingdom of the three seas
      (Trimaris) i have been doing a 16th cen. scottish mercenary since
      getting involved in the SCA but i have recently decided to go
      Japanese in my persona... i'm thinking 15th 16th cen. but i havn't
      decided which. first on my agenda is to get some more materials and
      make yet another set of armor...

      so i i am Kinoshita No Kenhoukou and i'm a recovering european
    • David
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28 8:45 AM
        ohayo gozaimas'

        A little about myself. I am called tono Ishikawa Moritake. I
        have been in and around the SCA (Ansteorra) for the past 26 years. I
        was samurai before Shogun was ever shown on TV. I've also been called
        the original "Jap-vader" and "the windmill of razors." Offices held
        include Hospitalar, Herald, Knights marshal, and deputy seneshal in
        various groups including Emerald Keep, barony of Elfsea, and Blacklake
        (then known as Tir Nam Dubh Loch). I was a student of Duke Inmon
        (BEFORE his knighting) and part of the entourage for several of his
        reigns. I have been out of the heavy weapons combat for a few years
        but am starting to get the bug again.

        In more day to day areas, I am a student of kenjutsu and also do
        katana refurbishing along with making new koshirae including
        tsukamaki. My senior sensei is a licensed appraiser.

        your humble servant,
        tono Ishikawa Moritake
        aka ld. Duncan Brodie MacCrimmon of Strathspey, piper to kings and
        duchesses
      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28 8:31 PM
          On 4/28/07, David <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

          > ohayo gozaimas'
          >
          > A little about myself. I am called tono Ishikawa Moritake. I
          > have been in and around the SCA (Ansteorra) for the past 26 years. I
          > was samurai before Shogun was ever shown on TV. I've also been called

          Ishikawa-gimi, SCA-JML e yokoso*

          I am called Ii Saburou Katsumori, of the Barony of Stierbach.

          If you don't mind my asking, what do you study? A particular koryu?

          -Ii Katsumori

          *Welcome to SCA-JML, Sir Ishikawa.
        • David Nesmith
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28 9:19 PM
            I guess I'm a bit, "old school" since I used the honorific "tono" instead of the more "recent" conventions. We live and evolve.

            I study a style called min ryu shinto ryu (sleeping dragon, divine sword) Our style has it's roots in tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu but severed ties several years ago because we evolved in a different direction. We study all aspects of the japanese sword and it's use. Our training includes iaijutsu, kenjutsu, tameshigiri (when the bamboo is in season), bushido, sword appraising, refurbishing, etc.

            Hope that helps (or further confuse)
            Ishikawa Moritake

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29 1:19 PM
              On 4/29/07, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

              > I guess I'm a bit, "old school" since I used the honorific "tono" instead of the more "recent" conventions. We live and evolve.

              Ishikawa-gimi, I usually use Hiraizumi no Ason's recommendations for honorifics:

              http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html

              Although I use '-dono' for most people, I figured as a knight you
              deserved a more appropriate honorific. My humble apologies if I
              offended.

              -Ii Katsumori
            • David Nesmith
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29 5:10 PM
                gomenasai,
                I would hate to start off on the wrong foot. I am not a knight nor a master. I am not sure where you got that unless it was when I said my early training was under duke Inman before HE was a knight. I have just been around for a long time sorta under the radar. Under the afforementioned source, I would be actually be shichi-i dono.

                my humble apologies if my words were not clear.
                Ishikawa Moritake (AoA, ST) (Ansteorra-at large)

                "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...> wrote: On 4/29/07, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

                > I guess I'm a bit, "old school" since I used the honorific "tono" instead of the more "recent" conventions. We live and evolve.

                Ishikawa-gimi, I usually use Hiraizumi no Ason's recommendations for honorifics:

                http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html

                Although I use '-dono' for most people, I figured as a knight you
                deserved a more appropriate honorific. My humble apologies if I
                offended.

                -Ii Katsumori

                It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                test'; " type=text/css>

              • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29 6:05 PM
                  On 4/29/07, David Nesmith <txpiper2001@...> wrote:

                  > gomenasai,
                  > I would hate to start off on the wrong foot. I am not a knight nor a master. I am not sure where you got that unless it was when I said my early training was under duke Inman before HE was a knight. I have just been around for a long time sorta under the radar. Under the afforementioned source, I would be actually be shichi-i dono.
                  >
                  > my humble apologies if my words were not clear.
                  > Ishikawa Moritake (AoA, ST) (Ansteorra-at large)

                  Gomen nasai, Ishikawa-dono--I misread your original post. I fear I
                  was the one who blundered. Forgive me.

                  -Ii
                • David Nesmith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29 6:39 PM
                    no worries, mate. You are not the first one to think that. When I was actively on the tourney trail, I was one of the most stylish fighters on the field since there were so few Japanese personnae at the time then. Unfortuantely, my actual win/loss record was rather dismal... but I sure looked good!

                    Ishikawa (sho shichi-i)