Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [SCA-JML] A word for it.

Expand Messages
  • Anthony J. Bryant
    ... The word the Japanese usually use is -ke (as in Tokugawa-ke or Takeda-ke ), although you ll also encounter ichimon. Wanna do something about Yama
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
      Minamoto no Taikawa Saiaiko wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > I am trying to find the best word to suit the idea of clan, as in
      > Clan Yama Kaminari

      The word the Japanese usually use is "-ke" (as in "Tokugawa-ke" or "Takeda-ke"),
      although you'll also encounter "ichimon."

      Wanna do something about "Yama Kaminari" while you're at it? :)

      For the record, "daimyô" is a landed title -- it shouldn't be used for the head
      of a household (even if you're a duke). The head of a powerful household is
      usually called a "tôryô" -- Yoritomo was the Minamoto-ke no tôryô, for example.
      (IIRC, you'll hear that term bandied about quite a bit in Kurosawa's film "Ran,"
      as one of the pivotal aspects of the film is Hidetora's turning over of the
      headship of the clan to his oldest son -- in the film, the guy is called the
      "Ichimonji-ke no tôryô", that is, "head of the Ichimonji house.")



      Anthony J. Bryant
      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      Effingham's Heraldic Avatars (...and stuff):

      Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.