A word for it.

  • Minamoto no Taikawa Saiaiko
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
      Hello all,

      I am trying to find the best word to suit the idea of clan, as in
      Clan Yama Kaminari

      Here is a bit of my research and a few options:

      batsu
      (n,n-suf) clique; clan; faction; (P)

      batsuzoku
      (n) clan; clique

      buzoku
      (n) tribe; clan; house; (P)

      dogou
      (n) local clan

      gouzoku
      (n) powerful family (clan); (P)

      hanbatsu
      (n) clanship; clannism; clan favoritism

      ichimi
      (n) clan; an ingredient; a touch; a tinge; conspirators; a gang

      ichimon
      (n) the family; dependents; household; kin; clan; (P)

      kamon
      (n) one's family or clan

      keibatsu
      (n) clan

      shizoku
      (n) clan; family; (P)

      souzoku
      (n) one's family or clan

      Sir Ogami seems to think <i>gouzoku</i> would work best especially
      when linked with <i>daimyo</i>. As well, I would prefer a word that
      works well for the Momoyama era.

      I welcome your comments and suggestions. (In other words, please
      help!)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
        Minamoto no Taikawa Saiaiko wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am trying to find the best word to suit the idea of clan, as in
        > Clan Yama Kaminari

        The word the Japanese usually use is "-ke" (as in "Tokugawa-ke" or "Takeda-ke"),
        although you'll also encounter "ichimon."

        Wanna do something about "Yama Kaminari" while you're at it? :)

        For the record, "daimyô" is a landed title -- it shouldn't be used for the head
        of a household (even if you're a duke). The head of a powerful household is
        usually called a "tôryô" -- Yoritomo was the Minamoto-ke no tôryô, for example.
        (IIRC, you'll hear that term bandied about quite a bit in Kurosawa's film "Ran,"
        as one of the pivotal aspects of the film is Hidetora's turning over of the
        headship of the clan to his oldest son -- in the film, the guy is called the
        "Ichimonji-ke no tôryô", that is, "head of the Ichimonji house.")

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder