Re: Name Advice

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <cofermon@a...> wrote:
      > Yar, i'm after some name advice, and i'm sure you all can give it
      > me! I'm looking into being Sengoku period samurai, and I already
      know
      > I want my given name to be Kagehide. One of the more interesting
      > family names I have found, that I like, is Uesugi. I'm not sure on
      > proper anunciation, I think its Ooh-a-sugi. But, around Sengoku
      > period, there is a family and a general with that last name. Not
      sure
      > if its appropriate, or what. And what else do I need in a name?
      >
      > Dave

      From "The Samurai Soucebook," by Stephen Turnbull.

      "Uesugi Kenshin Terutora (Kagetora) (1530-1578)
      Uesugi Kenshin is celebrated as one of the greatest samurai
      commanders in Japanese history. After rising to power within the
      Nagao family, he was adopted by Uesugi Norimasa, who was then in
      desperate straits. <He blackmailed his way into a powerful family.
      =) -AJ> Kenshin was often at war with both the Takeda and the Hojo,
      and on many occasions showed himself to be their equal. He fought
      Takeda Shingen 5 times at Kawanakajima. In 1558 he went to war
      against the Hojo and took their castles of Numata and Umayabashi. In
      1577 he won victories at Nanao and Tedorigawa. In 1578 he entered an
      alliance with Takeda Katsuyori against Oda Nobunaga, but his sudden
      death in mysterious circumstances led many to suspect assassination.
      <some modern scholars believe it was stomach cancer, and not a ninja
      hiding in his outhouse that did him in. -AJ>
      Standard: Large dark blue fan with red sun's disc.
      Banner: hata jurushi in dark blue with red sun's disc.

      Uesugi Kagetora (1552-79)
      Kagetora was the seventh son of Hojo Ujiyasu and was adopted by
      Uesugi Kenshin, but his inheritance was challenged by Uesugi
      Kagekatsu. Kagetora eventually killed himself.

      Uesugi Kagekatsu (1555-1623)
      Kagekatsu was the nephew of Uesugi Kenshin. On the death of Kenshin,
      Kagekatsu challenged Kagetora's inheritance, and war ensued.
      Kagekatsu won, and recieved the fief of Aizu, valued at 1,200,000
      koku. In 1600 Uesugi Kagekatsu declared against the Tokugawa and
      fought Mogami and Date, but hurriedly pledged allegiance after
      Sekigahara, and recieved the fief of Yonezawa (Dewa - 300,000 koku).
      He fought at Osaka for the Tokugawa.
      Great Standard: Gold disc on dark blue, and a large light blue fan
      Lesser Standard: White, with the character 'bi' for Bishamonten
      Sashimono: red."

      The Uesugi were a powerful clan, and the battles at the plain of
      Kawanakajima against Takeda Shingen are literally living legends in
      Japan. Takeda and Uesugi were the models of the samurai of their day.

      There are a lot of Kage-something or others in the clan, and Kagehide
      would probably fit right in. A cousin, or uncle, or nephew, or some
      such. While I don't think Uesugi is the most original choice for a
      clan name, you won't have ANY trouble documenting it. =)

      I even use Kagetora as my nickname.

      Good luck!