Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Upcoming events in the Bay Area (California)

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
      ::pipes up from the sideline::

      It would be good to see ya-all again if you come down this way

      -Takeda Sanjuichiro
      "What, you never heard of a rustic samurai"
    • ellen.m.davis@att.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
        Anytime!

        -Ellen

        -------------- Original message from mokurai : --------------

        > Gee, maybe Anne Liese and I need to visit you guys.....
        >
        > - mo
        >

        > ellen.m.davis@... wrote:
        >
        > >ROCK.
        > >
        > >-Aine
        > >
        > >-------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" : --------------

        > >>Saturday, 9/11 and back on the evening of 9/12, JUST to see the
        > >>gagaku performance?
        > >>
        > >>You don't have to!
        > >>
        > >>http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?
        > >>fuseaction=showEvent&event=XEPRS
        > >>
        > >>Makiwara

        > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
        > - Jebediah Springfield

      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
          > ellen.m.davis@a... wrote:

          > Not really...I think we all do things that others would
          consider "weird"
          > to be able to pursue our individual interests.

          I've done "long weekend" flights back east. It can be fun, but the
          jet lag and the amount of your weekend spent in transit can be
          gruelling.

          It only has a weird factor of about 3.

          Hiking around San Francisco in search of a plush Mothra has a weird
          factor of 7.2. (Don't laugh, Fujimaki decided he needed one. Did we
          find one? Yes. In Berkeley - during a weird front.)

          Making SCA appropriate clothing for plush monkeys has a weird factor
          of about 8.

          Doing internet searches to determine the diet of the Japanese brush
          warbler because theoretically it wouldn't be AS gross to use their
          guano for makeup if they're seed eaters as opposed to bug eaters has
          a weird factor of 13. ;->

          Makiwara
        • ellen.m.davis@att.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
            Ii just emailed me from England, offering to transfer a bunch of his airline miles to me so I could make the trip if I wanted to. What a darling. :) (We will try to make it out there at some point to see the art museums, and maybe get a chance to meet some of the West Coast list members!)

            And speaking of the "weirdness factor", before we were dating, Ii and I had at least one long, involved conversation on the intricacies of Japanese historical underwear. How romantic!

            -Aine (who loves the plush Mothra story! I know where to find Rodan, King Ghidorah, and mini-Godzilla around here, but I've never seen the Mothra one...)

            -------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" : --------------

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler wrote:
            > > ellen.m.davis@a... wrote:
            >
            > > Not really...I think we all do things that others would
            > consider "weird"
            > > to be able to pursue our individual interests.
            >
            > I've done "long weekend" flights back east. It can be fun, but the
            > jet lag and the amount of your weekend spent in transit can be
            > gruelling.
            >
            > It only has a weird factor of about 3.
            >
            > Hiking around San Francisco in search of a plush Mothra has a weird
            > factor of 7.2. (Don't laugh, Fujimaki decided he needed one. Did we
            > find one? Yes. In Berkeley - during a weird front.)
            >
            > Making SCA appropriate clothing for plush monkeys has a weird factor
            > of about 8.
            >
            > Doing internet searches to determine the diet of the Japanese brush
            > warbler because theoretically it wouldn't be AS gross to use their
            > guano for makeup if they're seed eaters as opposed to bug eaters has
            > a weird factor of 13. ;->
            >
            > Makiwara

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
              >From: "makiwara_no_yetsuko" <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...>
              >
              >Good morning, Nipponophiles.

              Thanks!

              I suspect no chanbara but:
              http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/pfa_programs/neo_eiga2004/index.html

              > From: ellen.m.davis@...
              >
              >*doesn't live in the SF Bay area*
              >
              >*cries hysterically*

              Doesn't pay ungodly amounts in rent or house payments, unless you live
              in Tokyo, then its about the same ;)

              Jim
            • Solveig
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004

                Greetings from Solveig! I very much enjoyed meeting you at Pennsic. I tried
                to find your encampment so I could look at the calligraphy that you had
                brought with you, but I was unable to find you. I am not particularly good
                at these things. I recall that you said that you lived near the playground,
                but there didn't seem to be much in the way of encampments there. Still, I
                did look. I do hope that you have a safe trip back to China.

                | trash by my email filters. |