Re: [SCA-JML] Upcoming events in the Bay Area (California)

  • ellen.m.davis@att.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
      Is it weird that I am seriously considering flying to San Fran on Saturday, 9/11 and back on the evening of 9/12, JUST to see the gagaku performance?

      (The airfare actually isn't too bad from DC.)

      -Aine

      -------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" : --------------

      > Good morning, Nipponophiles.
      >
      > 9/12/04 Reigakusha appears at Cal Berkeley to perform traditional
      > court music and new compositions.
      > http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2004/world_stage/even
      > ts/japan.php
      >
      > 9/18/04 "American Geisha" Liza Dalby will be signing books at San
      > Francisco's Asian Art Museum in connection with their "Geisha: Beyond
      > The Painted Smile" show which concludes on 9/26.
      > http://www.asianart.org
      >
      > 11/22-11/23/04 International Taiko Festival
      > http://www.taikodojo.org/pages/zell03.htm
      >
      > 2/4-2/6/05 KODO, the renowned taiko ensemble will be at Cal Berkeley.
      > http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2004/world_stage/even
      > ts/kodo.php
      >
      > 6/17-6/18/05 the Chikamatsu-za of Japan's Grand Kabuki Theater
      > http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2004/special_events/e
      > vents/kabuki.php
      >
      > Enjoy,
      > Makiwara

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, ellen.m.davis@a... wrote:

        > Is it weird that I am seriously considering flying to San Fran on
        Saturday, 9/11 and back on the evening of 9/12, JUST to see the
        gagaku performance?

        You don't have to!

        http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?
        fuseaction=showEvent&event=XEPRS

        Makiwara
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
          ellen.m.davis@... wrote:

          > Is it weird that I am seriously considering flying to San Fran on
          > Saturday, 9/11 and back on the evening of 9/12, JUST to see the gagaku
          > performance?
          >
          > (The airfare actually isn't too bad from DC.)
          >
          > -Aine
          >

          > -------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" :
          > --------------
          >
          > > Good morning, Nipponophiles.
          > >
          > > 9/12/04 Reigakusha appears at Cal Berkeley to perform traditional
          > > court music and new compositions.
          > > http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2004/world_stage/even
          > > ts/japan.php
          > >
          > > 9/18/04 "American Geisha" Liza Dalby will be signing books at San
          > > Francisco's Asian Art Museum in connection with their "Geisha: Beyond
          > > The Painted Smile" show which concludes on 9/26.
          > > http://www.asianart.org
          > >
          > > 11/22-11/23/04 International Taiko Festival
          > > http://www.taikodojo.org/pages/zell03.htm
          > >
          > > 2/4-2/6/05 KODO, the renowned taiko ensemble will be at Cal Berkeley.
          > > http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2004/world_stage/even
          > > ts/kodo.php
          > >
          > > 6/17-6/18/05 the Chikamatsu-za of Japan's Grand Kabuki Theater
          > > http://www.calperfs.berkeley.edu/presents/season/2004/special_events/e
          > > vents/kabuki.php
          > >
          > > Enjoy,
          > > Makiwara

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
          > click here
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129k005b8/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=1705767503:HM/EXP=1094223109/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298>

          Not really...I think we all do things that others would consider "weird"
          to be able to pursue our individual interests.

          Kiri
        • ellen.m.davis@att.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
            ROCK.

            -Aine

            -------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" : --------------

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, ellen.m.davis@a... wrote:
            > >
            > > Is it weird that I am seriously considering flying to San Fran on
            > Saturday, 9/11 and back on the evening of 9/12, JUST to see the
            > gagaku performance?
            >
            > You don't have to!
            >
            > http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?
            > fuseaction=showEvent&event=XEPRS
            >
            > Makiwara

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mokurai
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
              Gee, maybe Anne Liese and I need to visit you guys.....

              - mo

              --
              "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
              - Jebediah Springfield
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                ::pipes up from the sideline::

                It would be good to see ya-all again if you come down this way

                -Takeda Sanjuichiro
                "What, you never heard of a rustic samurai"
              • ellen.m.davis@att.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Anytime!

                  -Ellen

                  -------------- Original message from mokurai : --------------

                  > Gee, maybe Anne Liese and I need to visit you guys.....
                  >
                  > - mo
                  >

                  > ellen.m.davis@... wrote:
                  >
                  > >ROCK.
                  > >
                  > >-Aine
                  > >
                  > >-------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" : --------------

                  > >>Saturday, 9/11 and back on the evening of 9/12, JUST to see the
                  > >>gagaku performance?
                  > >>
                  > >>You don't have to!
                  > >>
                  > >>http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/index.cfm?
                  > >>fuseaction=showEvent&event=XEPRS
                  > >>
                  > >>Makiwara

                  > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > --
                  > "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
                  > - Jebediah Springfield

                • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
                    > ellen.m.davis@a... wrote:

                    > Not really...I think we all do things that others would
                    consider "weird"
                    > to be able to pursue our individual interests.

                    I've done "long weekend" flights back east. It can be fun, but the
                    jet lag and the amount of your weekend spent in transit can be
                    gruelling.

                    It only has a weird factor of about 3.

                    Hiking around San Francisco in search of a plush Mothra has a weird
                    factor of 7.2. (Don't laugh, Fujimaki decided he needed one. Did we
                    find one? Yes. In Berkeley - during a weird front.)

                    Making SCA appropriate clothing for plush monkeys has a weird factor
                    of about 8.

                    Doing internet searches to determine the diet of the Japanese brush
                    warbler because theoretically it wouldn't be AS gross to use their
                    guano for makeup if they're seed eaters as opposed to bug eaters has
                    a weird factor of 13. ;->

                    Makiwara
                  • ellen.m.davis@att.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
                      Ii just emailed me from England, offering to transfer a bunch of his airline miles to me so I could make the trip if I wanted to. What a darling. :) (We will try to make it out there at some point to see the art museums, and maybe get a chance to meet some of the West Coast list members!)

                      And speaking of the "weirdness factor", before we were dating, Ii and I had at least one long, involved conversation on the intricacies of Japanese historical underwear. How romantic!

                      -Aine (who loves the plush Mothra story! I know where to find Rodan, King Ghidorah, and mini-Godzilla around here, but I've never seen the Mothra one...)

                      -------------- Original message from "makiwara_no_yetsuko" : --------------

                      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler wrote:
                      > > ellen.m.davis@a... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Not really...I think we all do things that others would
                      > consider "weird"
                      > > to be able to pursue our individual interests.
                      >
                      > I've done "long weekend" flights back east. It can be fun, but the
                      > jet lag and the amount of your weekend spent in transit can be
                      > gruelling.
                      >
                      > It only has a weird factor of about 3.
                      >
                      > Hiking around San Francisco in search of a plush Mothra has a weird
                      > factor of 7.2. (Don't laugh, Fujimaki decided he needed one. Did we
                      > find one? Yes. In Berkeley - during a weird front.)
                      >
                      > Making SCA appropriate clothing for plush monkeys has a weird factor
                      > of about 8.
                      >
                      > Doing internet searches to determine the diet of the Japanese brush
                      > warbler because theoretically it wouldn't be AS gross to use their
                      > guano for makeup if they're seed eaters as opposed to bug eaters has
                      > a weird factor of 13. ;->
                      >
                      > Makiwara

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
                        >From: "makiwara_no_yetsuko" <makiwara_no_yetsuko@...>
                        >
                        >Good morning, Nipponophiles.

                        Thanks!

                        I suspect no chanbara but:
                        http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/pfa_programs/neo_eiga2004/index.html

                        > From: ellen.m.davis@...
                        >
                        >*doesn't live in the SF Bay area*
                        >
                        >*cries hysterically*

                        Doesn't pay ungodly amounts in rent or house payments, unless you live
                        in Tokyo, then its about the same ;)

                        Jim
                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004

                          Greetings from Solveig! I very much enjoyed meeting you at Pennsic. I tried
                          to find your encampment so I could look at the calligraphy that you had
                          brought with you, but I was unable to find you. I am not particularly good
                          at these things. I recall that you said that you lived near the playground,
                          but there didn't seem to be much in the way of encampments there. Still, I
                          did look. I do hope that you have a safe trip back to China.

                          | trash by my email filters. |