name check please

  • Tim adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      name Aoki U�emon-no Daibu Tadamitsu

      documention for form

      Name construction in mediaeval japan Revised edition Solvieg Throndottir

      Faimly/clan

      Aoki pg 159, 184, 315 time frame = sengoku date= 1568 meaning = tree

      Zokumyou

      U�emon-no Daibu pg 62 title roughly meaning guard of the gate (AOA)

      Nanori

      Tadamitsu pg 181, 300, 357 type=n time frame = hei�an date= 1183 meaning = bright/shining faith/loyalty

      regards

      Tadamitsu

    • tatsushu
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Tim adams <tim_adams_unix@y...>
        wrote:

        > name Aoki U'emon-no Daibu Tadamitsu

        Aoki Tadamitsu may be okay, but I would stay away from Uemon no
        Daibu. This would be like a Westerner taking a name like Earl
        d'Montfort--Earl may be a first name, but in our period of study it
        was a specifc position, and in this case, it is also a position with
        rank. I thought I recalled Solveig-hime's book as cautioning
        against the use of specific rank names (although there are places
        where 'uemon' and 'zaemon' are obviously names and not claims of
        position). On the other hand, one could make the argument that you
        then shouldn't use things like 'Marshall'--except I would argue that
        does not have rank attached to it (whereas Uemon no Daibu would have
        been a specific rank--I believe 5th ranked, as that seems to be the
        norm for 'Daibu' positions, but the gate guards do appear to be
        different in many respects.

        Now, if you take the position of a captain (as a job title in the
        Society), you could probably use Uemon no Daibu (or something
        appropriate to your rank) as your name (I'd work that out locally--
        baronial and possibly kingdom level, since it is an Imperial court
        position). I'd just recommend a different zokumyo, personally, but
        I don't know what the CoA will say on the issue.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
          Tim adams wrote:

          > name Aoki U弾mon-no Daibu Tadamitsu

          Aoki Tadamitsu sounds fine. Drop the Uemon no daibu. It's a title, and we don't
          register titles with names.

          Anthony J. Bryant
          Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

          Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
          http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
        • Tim adams
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 8, 2004
            ok so the clan and nanori are good.. I like them

            what can I use for the Zokumyou??
            anything in the book listed as Nanori?
            my understanding is that the Zokumyou is just the informal name..

            Tadamitsu