Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 1547 - Garment Construction

  • elsyr@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:15:37 -0000
      > From: "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
      > Subject: In praise of useful tools, was Straight lines
      >
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rae Lahman wrote:
      > > Ah...I have one of those cutting boards. It makes my bed a
      > wonderful cutting table! I suppose I could use the little squareish
      > dots for what they're on there for....:)
      >
      > That grid isn't purely decorative, y'know! You can even stick pins in
      > the fabric to tack it to the cardboard and go to town with a rotary
      > cutter. OK, $30 seems like a lot for a hunk of cardboard, but it's a
      > USEFUL piece of cardboard.
      >
      > M.

      All:

      One trick that I have found extraordinary useful in making kosode, hakama, etc. is to use carpenters tools - specifically, a rafter square and a chalk line. It is far easier to create a long straight line by snapping a chalk line than it is with a yardstick and tailor's chalk. Yes, the chalk line makes a mess, but I lay out pattern pieces in the garage anyway. The rafter square, with it's longer legs/arms/whatever they are called, makes it easier to ensure that a right angle STAYS a right angle throughout the length of the edge. These two tools really speed up garment construction.

      I wish I could say I thought of it myself, but the idea came from *gasp* a round eyed friend. :-) He had used the same technique in laying out the pieces for a pavillion and saw no reason why it would not work for Japanese garb.

      Sumiyori

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
        elsyr@... wrote:

        > One trick that I have found extraordinary useful in making kosode, hakama,
        > etc. is to use carpenters tools - specifically, a rafter square and a chalk
        > line.

        I do that, too. Well, not the chalk line, but the T-square and so on. It makes
        life much easier.

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel: