Drool-icious new book I just received...

  • ellen.m.davis@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 8:02 AM
      ...and I thought I might as well gloat a bit. ^-^

      The book is "Le riz dans la culture de Heian, mythe et realite" [Rice in Heian culture, myth and reality] by Charlotte von Verschuer from the Institut des Hautes Etudes Japonaises, College de France. As my French is rusty it's going to take me some time to crack this one, but on first glance it looks really good-- one of the appendices is an "inventoire des plants comestibles et industrielles" [inventory of edible and "industrial" plants] taken from the Engishiki, with the Linnean/Japanese/French/English/German names for each one and where it's mentioned in primary sources. There's a chapter each devoted to 1) how much rice did the nobility actually eat, and 2) the "five grains".

      Anyway, as I get into it I'll post some excerpts.

      -Aine