I don't understand this aspect of the dô

  • jeremy_kroeker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2004
      I was reading about the riveted dô and I can't see how I could
      make it work.

      "If you are making a riveted dô, you can either grind the rivets
      flat or allow them to protrude"
      -Anthony J. Bryant's site in the Making a Dô section-

      From my understanding of rivets they have a top larger portion, a
      shaft and another large portion on the bottom and all of this is
      tight to the two surfaces. If you grind down the top larger portion
      wouldn't it just come apart? And if you leave a bit, but still grind
      down a portion of it, would you get lumps everywhere after you paint
      it? Or we can assume that we put enough paint to compensate for the
      lumps, can you do that? The last idea I can think of is recessing the
      rivet, is that possible? Please any one who has done this before, can
      you help me?
    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2004
        You can countersink the rivets, or dimple them (same/similar effect, w/o removing metal) and then put the rivets in. You can also grind most of the head off, but leave some which would be nearly covered by the laquer.

        Alcyoneus

        jeremy_kroeker <xlt1000@...> wrote:
        I was reading about the riveted d� and I can't see how I could
        make it work.

        "If you are making a riveted d�, you can either grind the rivets
        flat or allow them to protrude"
        -Anthony J. Bryant's site in the Making a D� section-

        From my understanding of rivets they have a top larger portion, a
        shaft and another large portion on the bottom and all of this is
        tight to the two surfaces. If you grind down the top larger portion
        wouldn't it just come apart? And if you leave a bit, but still grind
        down a portion of it, would you get lumps everywhere after you paint
        it? Or we can assume that we put enough paint to compensate for the
        lumps, can you do that? The last idea I can think of is recessing the
        rivet, is that possible? Please any one who has done this before, can
        you help me?

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
          jeremy_kroeker wrote:

          > I was reading about the riveted dô and I can't see how I could
          > make it work.
          >
          > "If you are making a riveted dô, you can either grind the rivets
          > flat or allow them to protrude"
          > -Anthony J. Bryant's site in the Making a Dô section-
          >
          > From my understanding of rivets they have a top larger portion, a
          > shaft and another large portion on the bottom and all of this is
          > tight to the two surfaces. If you grind down the top larger portion
          > wouldn't it just come apart?

          Not if you do it properly.

          Anthony J. Bryant
          Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com