Hakama pattern

  • Jordan Malokofsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7 12:06 PM
      I've been without a computer at home for a while, so I've missed out on
      the last 2 months of postings, as I can't access my personal mail through
      work. I don't know if anyone has sent anything out on this, but here goes.

      I have fabric for a hakama. I know the rough specs for the design. There
      should be three 14" panels of fabric per leg, front and back - 12 total.
      The legs are sewn up the side to about 6-8" below the belt. I know that
      there are two strips of fabric that are horozonatally attached as a belt
      that differ in length. I am doing a late 16th century (1580's) samurai of
      modest means.

      Questions:
      1. Is the front section of the belt shorter or longer than the back?
      What are the rough length of each?
      2. How are the pant legs attached to the belt part? I've heard that
      pleats are not period. Is the fabric bunched together haphazardly, or is
      there some method to the "madness"?
      3. Is the fabric of the belt folded on itself in three layers like the
      trim on kimonos? Only two?

      Thanks for any input on this. Additionally, please include this e-mail
      address in any replies.

      Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
      <There is an exception to every rule.>
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7 7:56 PM

        Short answer, wait for the CA article. Long answer, it depends on what
        sort of hakama you are making. Effective answer, collar Baron Edward
        at Pennsic.

        | techie.com, msn.com |