[SCA-JML] Re: Tatami

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000

      When suspended, I would preferentially emulate the unryugama which
      is suspended over a firepit. It is relatively low, but not necessarily
      as low as a regular in the floor kama. NOTE. This is very much from
      memory. Unfortunatley, all but one of my temae books were destroyed
      in a flood.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000
        Lady Solveig:

        I'm leaving tomorrow at the crack of dawn (give or take three hours or so
        <G>).

        I need to know if you still want me to take over any of your classes, and
        which ones they are. I'll be on probably one more time tonight.

        Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000

          A tsurigama (suspended kettle) is generally suspended so that the lip
          is at about the same hight as a regular rogama in a sunken hearth.
          There is a picture on page 66 of Sadosaijiki published by Tankosha.
          ISBN 4-473-00921-1 C2070 7800 yen. The joys of opening boxes long
          sealed.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000
            Baron Edward!

            Could you plan on helping out with:

            Japanese Language Workshop (this is largely intended to be a salon)
            Diversions of the Japanese Aristocracy

            Please consider also.

            Japanese Architecture (I have not found my primary architecture books yet)
            The Japanese Festival Calendar (I have sources for this, but you may be
            better prepared at the moment.)

          • elmar schmeisser
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 8, 2000
              --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...>
              wrote:

              > A tsurigama (suspended kettle) is ...at about the same
              > h[e]ight as a regular rogama in a sunken hearth....

              Ah - wonderful. So the manner of use then follows that of ro
              rather than that of furo in e.g. the placement of the ladle,
              etc. Also leads to toasting the handle of your ladle as well
              <grin>....

              - Jutte (seamus/elmar)
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 8, 2000

                Yes indeed. The tsurigama is a Winter temae. It is conducted either
                in a small tea room or possibly in late Winter. The reason is that
                the unryugama and generally other tsurigama as well are relatively
                small and use small fires.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • elmar schmeisser
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 9, 2000
                  --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:

                  > Yes indeed. The tsurigama is a Winter temae. It is conducted either
                  > in a small tea room or possibly in late Winter. The reason is that
                  > the unryugama and generally other tsurigama as well are relatively
                  > small and use small fires.

                  This seems strange - small fires in the coldest time of winter?
                  Also, I was thinking of outdoors (e.g. Pennsic <g>) - I have seen
                  (Sen'o Tanaka's book) a tripod made of branches hanging a kettle
                  outdoors in not-winter. At any rate - the bottom line is that the
                  kettle height vs. the ground level is the same for both trivet and
                  tripod, and the manner of service is also the same.

                  Thank you again, sensei.

                  - jutte (seamus/elmar)
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 9, 2000
                    Noble Baron.

                    Greetings from Solveig!

                    I have one or more books by Tanaka Sen'o somewhere. Or at least I
                    did at one time. The basics will still be the same as they are
                    governed in part by mechanics.

                    For the first time in years, I have my copy of "Kama to Ro - Furo"
                    available to me. The section on types of ro (hearths) correlates
                    them somewhat to the size of room. I should have mentioned that
                    the unryugama is used in fairly intimate tea rooms (say 4.5 mats
                    and smaller). The Dairo (big ro) is 54.5 cm and is used in rooms
                    of say 6 mats or larger. A standard size might be about 42.4 cm.

                    The nagaro is about twice as long as a regular ro and can be
                    used for cooking during the kaiseki meal. The feeling of the
                    nagaro is appropriate for the depths of winter.

                    The saijiki shows a picture of the unryugama in the section on
                    March. So, the saijiki associates it with late Winter. I think
                    that my experience with the saji with a small suspended kettle
                    was in a colder month. There was snow on the ground outside as
                    I recall. However, we are talking about a 4.5 mat room
                    (about 10x10 or smaller) with 10 or 12 guests, a host, and a helper
                    all wearing wafuku (which are quite warm) with a small fire.
                    Let us say that it was cozy.

                    Your Humbel Servant

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • elmar schmeisser
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 10, 2000
                      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:

                      Greetings, noble Solveig:

                      > ...we are talking about a 4.5 mat room
                      > (about 10x10 or smaller) with 10 or 12 guests, a host, and a helper
                      > all wearing wafuku (which are quite warm) with a small fire.
                      > Let us say that it was cozy.

                      12 people in a 4.5 mat room along with room for the tea gear...cozy
                      doesn't begin to describe that! That's the host and helper and tea
                      gear on one full mat, the kettle in the half mat, and everybody else
                      on 3 mats. Have to be small people - our normal (!) red headed 6+
                      foot tall 190+ pound Pensic samurai wouldn't be able to do it, I'd
                      venture <grin>...

                      - Jutte (seamus/elmar)
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 10, 2000

                        And, this was a Saji! We ate a full formal meal together in that room.
                        I'm pretty sure that it was 4.5 mats. I am positive that it was no
                        larger than 6.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 1, 2004

                          Greetings from Solveig! Please check out the following site. They sell
                          tatami and other stuff.

                          http://www.tatamiroom.com/

                          Nichibeibussan also sells tatami, clothing and other stuff.

                          http://www.nbstore.com/

                          Please consider buying real tatami and real kaki/shiki futon sets.
                          They are really really nice.

                        • Gary Williams
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 3, 2004
                            The project to get my armor together is proceeding fairly well. I am using the Yama Kaminari design. As i was lacing together the sode the other day it occured to me i could turn this project into as A&S project as well. So I was thinking of doing the A&S on period Japanese lacing for 15th century armor. So of course 2 questions arise.

                            1. How period is the Yama Kaminari design? I am making it out of barrel plastic, which is ok because everyone knows plastic barrels were being produced as early as the 12th century. :P

                            2. Is the lacing techniques in the design period.

                            So any advice, books, websites that can help me do the research on the lacing would be really helpful.

                            Thanks,

                            Cristen Fynlo (aka Gary Williams)

                          • Matt L
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 24, 2004
                              this request for information has appearantly gone unnoticed, so perhapse I
                              can help ever so slightly, and probably refer you to sources you have
                              already explored...

                              first and formodst I have to say "check out effingham-dono's website" it
                              has several main sections including such things as linguistics,
                              miscilanious projects & articles, and perhapse the finest set of
                              instructions for making authenticly styled armor on the web. (well atleast
                              the most indepth information I have managed to locate so far<G>)

                              I am far from an expert on the topic, but he includes a chapter dedicated
                              to odoshi (lacing) and it's paterns which seems to me quite informative.
                              further he las links to both english sites and japanese sites as well as an
                              exensive bibliography that you can start hunting for in interlibrary loans.

                              the URL of his site is http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/ or you can go directly
                              to the armoring manual at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/0.Katchu.html

                              unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                              <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non functional...
                              but the other japanese language links for armor info appear to be fine,
                              though you may need babblefish to read them... (which I have yet to try)

                              you may also wish to do websearched on keywords such as odoshi, yoroi,
                              sode, kebiki, kozane
                              they may provide you with some useful links

                              yoshimasa

                              The project to get my armor together is proceeding fairly well. I am using
                              the Yama Kaminari design. As i was lacing together the sode the other day
                              it occured to me i could turn this project into as A&S project as well. So
                              I was thinking of doing the A&S on period Japanese lacing for 15th century
                              armor. So of course 2 questions arise.

                              1. How period is the Yama Kaminari design? I am making it out of barrel
                              plastic, which is ok because everyone knows plastic barrels were being
                              produced as early as the 12th century. :P

                              2. Is the lacing techniques in the design period.

                              So any advice, books, websites that can help me do the research on the
                              lacing would be really helpful.

                              Thanks,

                              Cristen Fynlo (aka Gary Williams)

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              To visit your group on the web, go to:

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            • otagiri_tatsuzo
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Matt L <mattlew@b...> wrote:

                                > unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                                > <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non
                                functional...

                                The correct link should be
                                http://www.kozando.co.jp/english/index_e.html

                                Otagiri
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 27, 2004
                                  Matt L wrote:

                                  > unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                                  > <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non functional...
                                  > but the other japanese language links for armor info appear to be fine,
                                  > though you may need babblefish to read them... (which I have yet to try)

                                  They changed their URLs on me -- I have to update the link.

                                  For the record, when in doubt on a link like that, just go to the root URL -- in
                                  this case, http://www.kozando.co.jp and lo and behold, you have their website. <G>

                                  Effingham
                                • Bryant Richards
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                    Question: Does anyone have a good source that sells lacing in bulk for lacing up armor? Something with different color options maybe. I tried the Lamellar armor site and they seem to be MIA (clicking on most of the links gives a CGI excceded error) any other ideas? I ask for bulks cause I am looking to buy enough to lace up about 6 sets of armor.

                                    In Honor and Service,
                                    Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                                    House Chiburi

                                  • Charles Dodge
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                      Uesugi

                                      Well I was going to send you to www.ricebraid.com but it seems the site is down. If you do a google search for ELC Rice Braid and click the cached link you can get an idea of what they had. Their sister site www.shopelc.com is still up but that is mostly military related braids.

                                      On an off chance you could look up their contact info from the shopelc site and try calling them. They sell in 144yd rolls.

                                      Nakos

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                        If you're willing to work with synthetics, you can buy bulk shoelaces online. Best of all, they already have aglets, which makes lacing a breeze.

                                        The site I used, as recommended by the ever-so-helpful Baron Edward on the Odoshi page of Sengoku Daimyo is http://www.lacesforless.com/

                                        Beware: few things are more entertaining than a box of loose shoelaces for those small, fuzzy domovoi that many call "cats"

                                        Ryuta

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                          i used paracord.

                                          550 paracord.

                                          pull the inner strands out if you want it flat.
                                          leave it with strands for the tough stuff.

                                          ebay .
                                          lots of colors.
                                          lots.
                                        • John Lyon
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 3, 2009
                                            I've had fantastic luck with just the Shoelaces from Shoelacesforless. I was
                                            able to buy large amounts, of long laces. My Do is made of the Effingham
                                            Kozane, so LOTS of lacing. I'm a big guy, and I think I ended up spending
                                            $100-150 on shoe laces. They were great because they were nylon and I could
                                            fuse the ends as I worked which was a great help. Having Nubs was also very
                                            helpful for the lacing process. If your armor is going to be made of
                                            plastic, the Shoelaces are going to be plenty tough for your application. If
                                            your Do is going to be made of steel, you might just be SOL. My first set
                                            was a sparse-laced 16G steel set. I used hockey lacing. Steel cut through
                                            them quickly, and anything else I tried to use to replace it. With the
                                            plastic I've been fighting for years and the only problem is that the lacing
                                            has gotten stained from sweat and dirt. When you order from Lacesforless,
                                            they will ask if you want it bundled or loose, get bundled. Then they tie
                                            them together in pairs for you. If you get it loose then you just get this
                                            big box of loose strings. Less fun than you might imagine, especially if you
                                            are doing a lot of lacing.

                                            --
                                            "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                                            things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

                                            John Lyon
                                            aka The Ugly Dragon
                                            aka Kita Jiru Toramassa