Re: [SCA-JML] Period Japanese Cuisine

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Baron Edward!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
      > for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
      > instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.
      >
      > I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
      > unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
      > If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
      > you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
      > least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

      <G> I'm bringing it, I'm bringing it. <G>

      > If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
      > do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
      > Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
      > Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
      > Such a schedule would probably crush me.

      Well, of course *I'd* suggest the summer in Japan, even as oppressively hot
      and humid as it gets.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 7, 2000

        I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
        coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
        planning this enkai for?

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Jason & Christina Hunt
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
          It's supposed to be a themed event in mid-October. In the past here
          they've done German, Norse, Irish, etc. but this year a few of us are
          pushing for Japanese :)

          Harume

          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
          > coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
          > planning this enkai for?
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar
          > --
          > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
          > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
          > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
          > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
          > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
          > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
          > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
          > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
          > | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000

            Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
            for you.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Jason & Christina Hunt
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
              Lady Solveig!

              Thanks, the moon viewing is a wonderful idea! Now I'll have to give
              some thought on how to present it to everyone. Most of the people here
              have european or norse personas but I was thinking since they have done
              norse wrestling we might be able to have some sumo matches. Would they
              be period?
              Also I am working on making a Kamakura period kosode. I have the very
              basics and I'm doing it in white but I'm still not quite sure on how to
              do the collar/trim? Also what kind of embroidery would be period? I have
              a book on Sashiko but from what I read it is post-period.
              I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dishes you can find! Better
              yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
              taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
              boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.

              Harume

              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
              > for you.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar
              > --
              > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
              > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
              > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
              > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
              > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
              > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
              > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
              > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
              > | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Ron Martino
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                Better
                > yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                > taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                > boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.
                >
                > Harume

                From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                Artemisia this September?

                Yumitori
              • Jason & Christina Hunt
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 9, 2000
                  From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                  > Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                  > Artemisia this September?

                  Yes, we're from Cold Lake (Stonewolf) but no we won't be making it to
                  Gryphon's Fury. We will be at Silverwolf though on the weekend of the
                  9th of September.

                  Harume
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 9, 2000

                    The earliest Sumo matches date to the Heian period or earlier.
                    During the Heian period, they were associated with Tanabata.
                    However, I don't see a big reason to avoid Sumo matches if
                    that is what you want. However, I do hope that you will do
                    real Sumo matches and not rubber suit silly Sumo. I can
                    provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                    rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                    A kosode has a collar, but it does not have trim. I'm sure
                    that others on this list are more expert about clothing
                    construction than I am.

                    Ahhh. Embroidery. I'm most familiar with mingei embroidery
                    which tends to be of regular geometric patterns such as
                    interlaced circles. I suggest that you restrict your
                    embroidery efforts to accessories.

                    I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                    There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • Jason & Christina Hunt
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000
                      I can
                      > provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                      > rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                      please do, the handout would be most helpful

                      I suggest that you restrict your
                      > embroidery efforts to accessories.

                      I was thinking of decorating a kimono, maybe silk painting would be more
                      appropriate?

                      > I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                      > There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                      We're going tomorrow just for fun but I will have to make another trip
                      to the city in the near future but I'm not sure when yet. Hopefully it
                      will be after Pennsic.

                      Harume
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000

                        I do hope that you will be doing your grocery shopping for your
                        event sometime after September 1.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000

                          Ran is being re-released. If you have not seen this movie, go see it.
                          If you have seen it, then you know why you should see it again.

                          . Arts. 160 minutes.

                          Cast & Credits
                          Starring Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Kazuo Kato, Hitoshi Ueki,
                          Jun Tazaki

                          Directed by Akira Kurosawa

                          Full Cast and Crew

                          Synopsis: A version of Shakespeare's "King Lear," set in feudal
                          Japan where aging ruler,
                          Lord Hidetora, unleashes a power struggle amongst his three sons.

                          Release date: Friday, August 18, 2000

                          | techie.com, msn.com |