Re: [SCA-JML] Period Japanese Cuisine

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 6 6:51 AM
      Baron Edward!

      I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
      since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
      of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
      did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
      would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
      that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
      so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
      Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
      which happened in the middle of July.

      I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
      of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
      and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
      with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 6 7:08 AM
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solveig!

        I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
        for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
        instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.

        I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
        unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
        If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
        you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
        least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

        If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
        do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
        Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
        Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
        Such a schedule would probably crush me.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 6 10:51 AM
          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Baron Edward!
          >
          > I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
          > since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
          > of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
          > did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
          > would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
          > that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
          > so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
          > Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
          > which happened in the middle of July.

          Wow... well, at least it's a nice area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find
          something you can live with.

          > I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
          > of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
          > and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
          > with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

          Erp!

          Um.... which ones? I'll have to move fast to get some things ready for
          them.

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 6 10:53 AM
            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > Baron Edward!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
            > for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
            > instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.
            >
            > I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
            > unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
            > If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
            > you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
            > least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

            <G> I'm bringing it, I'm bringing it. <G>

            > If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
            > do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
            > Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
            > Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
            > Such a schedule would probably crush me.

            Well, of course *I'd* suggest the summer in Japan, even as oppressively hot
            and humid as it gets.

            Effingham
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 7 8:02 PM

              I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
              coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
              planning this enkai for?

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Jason & Christina Hunt
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 8 3:11 PM
                It's supposed to be a themed event in mid-October. In the past here
                they've done German, Norse, Irish, etc. but this year a few of us are
                pushing for Japanese :)

                Harume

                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > Noble Cousin!
                >
                > I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                > coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                > planning this enkai for?
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar
                > --
                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                > | techie.com, msn.com |
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 8 4:00 PM

                  Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                  for you.

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                • Jason & Christina Hunt
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 8 9:50 PM
                    Lady Solveig!

                    Thanks, the moon viewing is a wonderful idea! Now I'll have to give
                    some thought on how to present it to everyone. Most of the people here
                    have european or norse personas but I was thinking since they have done
                    norse wrestling we might be able to have some sumo matches. Would they
                    be period?
                    Also I am working on making a Kamakura period kosode. I have the very
                    basics and I'm doing it in white but I'm still not quite sure on how to
                    do the collar/trim? Also what kind of embroidery would be period? I have
                    a book on Sashiko but from what I read it is post-period.
                    I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dishes you can find! Better
                    yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                    taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                    boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.

                    Harume

                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                    > for you.
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar
                    > --
                    > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                    > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                    > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                    > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                    > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                    > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                    > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                    > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                    > | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • Ron Martino
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 8 10:16 PM
                      Better
                      > yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                      > taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                      > boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.
                      >
                      > Harume

                      From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                      Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                      Artemisia this September?

                      Yumitori
                    • Jason & Christina Hunt
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 9 6:35 PM
                        From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                        > Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                        > Artemisia this September?

                        Yes, we're from Cold Lake (Stonewolf) but no we won't be making it to
                        Gryphon's Fury. We will be at Silverwolf though on the weekend of the
                        9th of September.

                        Harume
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 9 6:36 PM

                          The earliest Sumo matches date to the Heian period or earlier.
                          During the Heian period, they were associated with Tanabata.
                          However, I don't see a big reason to avoid Sumo matches if
                          that is what you want. However, I do hope that you will do
                          real Sumo matches and not rubber suit silly Sumo. I can
                          provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                          rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                          A kosode has a collar, but it does not have trim. I'm sure
                          that others on this list are more expert about clothing
                          construction than I am.

                          Ahhh. Embroidery. I'm most familiar with mingei embroidery
                          which tends to be of regular geometric patterns such as
                          interlaced circles. I suggest that you restrict your
                          embroidery efforts to accessories.

                          I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                          There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                        • Jason & Christina Hunt
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 10 7:31 AM
                            I can
                            > provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                            > rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                            please do, the handout would be most helpful

                            I suggest that you restrict your
                            > embroidery efforts to accessories.

                            I was thinking of decorating a kimono, maybe silk painting would be more
                            appropriate?

                            > I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                            > There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                            We're going tomorrow just for fun but I will have to make another trip
                            to the city in the near future but I'm not sure when yet. Hopefully it
                            will be after Pennsic.

                            Harume
                          • Barbara Nostrand
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 10 12:44 PM

                              I do hope that you will be doing your grocery shopping for your
                              event sometime after September 1.

                              | techie.com, msn.com |
                            • Barbara Nostrand
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 10 7:55 PM

                                Ran is being re-released. If you have not seen this movie, go see it.
                                If you have seen it, then you know why you should see it again.

                                . Arts. 160 minutes.

                                Cast & Credits
                                Starring Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Kazuo Kato, Hitoshi Ueki,
                                Jun Tazaki

                                Directed by Akira Kurosawa

                                Full Cast and Crew

                                Synopsis: A version of Shakespeare's "King Lear," set in feudal
                                Japan where aging ruler,
                                Lord Hidetora, unleashes a power struggle amongst his three sons.

                                Release date: Friday, August 18, 2000

                                | techie.com, msn.com |