Re: [SCA-JML] Period Japanese Cuisine

  • Jason & Christina Hunt
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5 9:37 PM
      Oh WOW! I originally grew up in Wilkes-Barre, but I moved to Canada a
      little over a year ago when I married my husband. There is a wonderful
      group there that were the ones who got me started in the SCA. Of all the
      things I left behind I miss those guys the most. You're lucky to be in
      the Barony of Endless Hills.

      Harume

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5 9:58 PM
        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

        > Noble Cousins!
        >
        > Regardling Pennsic. I left Peoria sometime late Thursday night.
        > While driving through Indian or Ohio Friday morning, I was
        > passed by a green pickup stuffed with tiki torches and what
        > naught. Friday nigth, I arrived in Wilkes-Barre (new job).
        > I will be going to Pennsic at the end of the week. I have
        > to sort through my stuff, but hopefully none of my Pennsic
        > stuff went into the storage building.

        Welcome to the Twilight Zone; for two years -- when I was at St. Tikhon's
        -- I lived VERY near Wilkes-Barre. It was the nearest real town, it and
        Scranton. Where are you working now?

        Looking forward to seeing you in a few days! (and I'm bringing a copy of
        that sorobun/letter monograph for you!)

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5 9:59 PM
          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! The oldest Japanese cookbook of which
          > I am aware is Ryorimonogatari which was published in the early
          > 17th century and is within the Society's documentary time
          > limit. I have both a photocopy of the original monjo and also
          > a copy of a recent translation into modern Japanese.

          There's been a recent translation? Who published it, do you remember off hand?

          > There
          > are also a couple of other good references on Japanese food
          > history which I also have copies of which are also in Japanese.
          > What sort of thing are you interested in? How about serving
          > Souther Barbarian Chicken? As I recall, that was one of the
          > recipies in the book.
          >
          > Note. I am planning on producing a minor pamphlet on Japanese
          > cookery sometime in the next year or two. That is why I have
          > been collecting these sources.

          Now THAT would be cool and VERY useful!

          Looking forward to seeing it, drooling alla time...

          Effingham
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 6 6:51 AM
            Baron Edward!

            I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
            since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
            of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
            did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
            would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
            that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
            so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
            Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
            which happened in the middle of July.

            I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
            of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
            and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
            with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 6 7:08 AM
              Baron Edward!

              Greetings from Solveig!

              I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
              for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
              instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.

              I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
              unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
              If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
              you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
              least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

              If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
              do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
              Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
              Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
              Such a schedule would probably crush me.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 6 10:51 AM
                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > Baron Edward!
                >
                > I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
                > since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
                > of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
                > did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
                > would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
                > that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
                > so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
                > Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
                > which happened in the middle of July.

                Wow... well, at least it's a nice area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find
                something you can live with.

                > I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
                > of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
                > and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
                > with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

                Erp!

                Um.... which ones? I'll have to move fast to get some things ready for
                them.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 6 10:53 AM
                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                  > Baron Edward!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  >
                  > I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
                  > for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
                  > instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.
                  >
                  > I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
                  > unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
                  > If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
                  > you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
                  > least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

                  <G> I'm bringing it, I'm bringing it. <G>

                  > If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
                  > do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
                  > Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
                  > Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
                  > Such a schedule would probably crush me.

                  Well, of course *I'd* suggest the summer in Japan, even as oppressively hot
                  and humid as it gets.

                  Effingham
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 7 8:02 PM

                    I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                    coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                    planning this enkai for?

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • Jason & Christina Hunt
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 8 3:11 PM
                      It's supposed to be a themed event in mid-October. In the past here
                      they've done German, Norse, Irish, etc. but this year a few of us are
                      pushing for Japanese :)

                      Harume

                      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > Noble Cousin!
                      >
                      > I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                      > coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                      > planning this enkai for?
                      >
                      > Your Humble Servant
                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                      > Amateur Scholar
                      > --
                      > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                      > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                      > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                      > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                      > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                      > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                      > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                      > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                      > | techie.com, msn.com |
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 8 4:00 PM

                        Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                        for you.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                      • Jason & Christina Hunt
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 8 9:50 PM
                          Lady Solveig!

                          Thanks, the moon viewing is a wonderful idea! Now I'll have to give
                          some thought on how to present it to everyone. Most of the people here
                          have european or norse personas but I was thinking since they have done
                          norse wrestling we might be able to have some sumo matches. Would they
                          be period?
                          Also I am working on making a Kamakura period kosode. I have the very
                          basics and I'm doing it in white but I'm still not quite sure on how to
                          do the collar/trim? Also what kind of embroidery would be period? I have
                          a book on Sashiko but from what I read it is post-period.
                          I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dishes you can find! Better
                          yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                          taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                          boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.

                          Harume

                          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                          > Noble Cousin!
                          >
                          > Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                          > for you.
                          >
                          > Your Humble Servant
                          > Solveig Throndardottir
                          > Amateur Scholar
                          > --
                          > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                          > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                          > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                          > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                          > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                          > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                          > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                          > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                          > | techie.com, msn.com |
                        • Ron Martino
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 8 10:16 PM
                            Better
                            > yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                            > taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                            > boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.
                            >
                            > Harume

                            From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                            Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                            Artemisia this September?

                            Yumitori
                          • Jason & Christina Hunt
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 9 6:35 PM
                              From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                              > Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                              > Artemisia this September?

                              Yes, we're from Cold Lake (Stonewolf) but no we won't be making it to
                              Gryphon's Fury. We will be at Silverwolf though on the weekend of the
                              9th of September.

                              Harume
                            • Barbara Nostrand
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 9 6:36 PM

                                The earliest Sumo matches date to the Heian period or earlier.
                                During the Heian period, they were associated with Tanabata.
                                However, I don't see a big reason to avoid Sumo matches if
                                that is what you want. However, I do hope that you will do
                                real Sumo matches and not rubber suit silly Sumo. I can
                                provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                                rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                                A kosode has a collar, but it does not have trim. I'm sure
                                that others on this list are more expert about clothing
                                construction than I am.

                                Ahhh. Embroidery. I'm most familiar with mingei embroidery
                                which tends to be of regular geometric patterns such as
                                interlaced circles. I suggest that you restrict your
                                embroidery efforts to accessories.

                                I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                                There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                                | techie.com, msn.com |
                              • Jason & Christina Hunt
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 10 7:31 AM
                                  I can
                                  > provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                                  > rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                                  please do, the handout would be most helpful

                                  I suggest that you restrict your
                                  > embroidery efforts to accessories.

                                  I was thinking of decorating a kimono, maybe silk painting would be more
                                  appropriate?

                                  > I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                                  > There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                                  We're going tomorrow just for fun but I will have to make another trip
                                  to the city in the near future but I'm not sure when yet. Hopefully it
                                  will be after Pennsic.

                                  Harume
                                • Barbara Nostrand
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 10 12:44 PM

                                    I do hope that you will be doing your grocery shopping for your
                                    event sometime after September 1.

                                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 10 7:55 PM

                                      Ran is being re-released. If you have not seen this movie, go see it.
                                      If you have seen it, then you know why you should see it again.

                                      . Arts. 160 minutes.

                                      Cast & Credits
                                      Starring Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Kazuo Kato, Hitoshi Ueki,
                                      Jun Tazaki

                                      Directed by Akira Kurosawa

                                      Full Cast and Crew

                                      Synopsis: A version of Shakespeare's "King Lear," set in feudal
                                      Japan where aging ruler,
                                      Lord Hidetora, unleashes a power struggle amongst his three sons.

                                      Release date: Friday, August 18, 2000

                                      | techie.com, msn.com |