Thanks and new question.

  • Robert Talbot
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
      Greetings,

      First, I'd like to thank everyone who gave their advice on my one
      persona vs. two personas question. I've decided to go with a second
      persona for heavy fighting, and thanks to information on given names
      posted by Solveig and the folks at St. Gabe's, I've decided to use
      the given name Hideaki.

      My next question is where are the good sources for surnames? I tried
      looking around St. Gabriel's, but all I found was the document on
      given names.

      Thanks,

      Robert/Hideaki
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
        Robert Talbot wrote:

        > My next question is where are the good sources for surnames? I tried
        > looking around St. Gabriel's, but all I found was the document on
        > given names.

        Have you seen my page on names in the Online Miscellany? You can access it from
        my homepage (URL below).

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
        http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
          > Have you seen my page on names in the Online Miscellany? You can
          access it from
          > my homepage (URL below).
          >
          > Effingham

          Revered Friends of the List,

          As we all know, the "I need a name" question comes up at least once
          every three weeks, resulting in the inevitable answers, "Go look it
          up here;" "Calling yourself 'Kitsune' is a Really Bad Idea" and of
          course, "Consult my my book upon the subject even though it has been
          printed by a publisher so obscure it can only be found after a quest
          of mythic proportions, or at least a trip to Pennsic."

          This morning I had a vision from Kannon, the goddess of Infinite
          Mercy and Compassion. She charged me with a mission of mercy to aid
          both newcomer and old hand alike. Thus, I've added a folder to the
          Links section of our YahooGroups page, titled Online Name Resources.
          jml/links/Online_Name_Resource_001092006005/

          I put up the few URLs I could think of that might be useful. If you,
          Honored Friends, know of any useful links that I haven't put in
          there, please post them. Solveig-hime, I would be forever in your
          debt if by chance your publisher has an internet address we can put
          up somewhere permanent and easy to find. (And will understand any
          delay if people are already en route to Pennsic at this time and
          cannot respond until their return.)

          Makiwara
        • Otagiri Tatsuzou
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004
            > As we all know, the "I need a name" question comes up at least once
            > every three weeks, resulting in the inevitable answers, "Go look it
            > up here;" "Calling yourself 'Kitsune' is a Really Bad Idea" and of
            > course, "Consult my my book upon the subject even though it has been
            > printed by a publisher so obscure it can only be found after a quest
            > of mythic proportions, or at least a trip to Pennsic."
            >
            > Makiwara

            I have also been compiling a "Frequently Asked Questions" page for
            this list over the last few weeks. All new subscribers should be
            receiving a copy and you can also refer to it in the Files section
            under "scajmlfaq." It's mostly a collection of links for names,
            clothing and armor, but I am updating it as I see repititions or find
            new links. Feel free to email me links or Q&A that should be added.

            Otagiri
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2004

              >As we all know, the "I need a name" question comes up at least once
              >every three weeks, resulting in the inevitable answers, "Go look it
              >up here;" "Calling yourself 'Kitsune' is a Really Bad Idea" and of
              >course, "Consult my my book upon the subject even though it has been
              >printed by a publisher so obscure it can only be found after a quest
              >of mythic proportions, or at least a trip to Pennsic."

              The proportions are not at all that "mythic". There is at least one
              online bookseller and you can order it from the publisher as well.
              I once bought a book from Norway which involved getting a banque draft
              for Norwegian Kroner. I am unimpressed by the effort required to obtain
              a copy of my modest pamphlet.

              >I put up the few URLs I could think of that might be useful. If you,
              >Honored Friends, know of any useful links that I haven't put in
              >there, please post them. Solveig-hime, I would be forever in your
              >debt if by chance your publisher has an internet address we can put
              >up somewhere permanent and easy to find. (And will understand any
              >delay if people are already en route to Pennsic at this time and
              >cannot respond until their return.)

              I recommend that you send email to him and ask permission to post his
              email address. At one time, you could buy my pamphlet from Free Trumpet
              Press West, but I do not know whether they will ever carry it now that
              Free Trumpet has merged with the "Society Marketplace". I suggest that
              you write to the Society Marketplace and ask them to stock NCMJ. I am
              sure that the plublisher will happly supply them.

            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2004
                You may want to check the FAQ that was written up on the old Toshokan
                (Nobumitsu, are you still out there?).

                There were many answers to things in there, too. It should be in the
                'links' section.

                -Ii

                On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                > Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 01:54:26 -0000
                > From: Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...>
                > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [SCA-JML] Names again
                >

                >> As we all know, the "I need a name" question comes up at least once
                >> every three weeks, resulting in the inevitable answers, "Go look it
                >> up here;" "Calling yourself 'Kitsune' is a Really Bad Idea" and of
                >> course, "Consult my my book upon the subject even though it has been
                >> printed by a publisher so obscure it can only be found after a quest
                >> of mythic proportions, or at least a trip to Pennsic."
                >>
                >> Makiwara
                >
                > I have also been compiling a "Frequently Asked Questions" page for
                > this list over the last few weeks. All new subscribers should be
                > receiving a copy and you can also refer to it in the Files section
                > under "scajmlfaq." It's mostly a collection of links for names,
                > clothing and armor, but I am updating it as I see repititions or find
                > new links. Feel free to email me links or Q&A that should be added.
                >
                > Otagiri

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Park McKellop
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 11, 2004
                  Dresser Jingasa: $125

                  Fighting Jingasa: $225

                  Momonari: $595

                  Seiki Bachi Kabuto (6 plate w flower): $750

                  Zunari w/seashell: $685

                  Hopefully, I haven't made any errors, but, if I have, hit me with a stick. :-)

                  Alcyoneus

                • Park McKellop
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 24, 2004
                    The Seiki Bachi is sold, the others remain available. His email it TalonArmory@... . Feel free to say that I sent you, I will incur good karma. :-)

                    Alcyoneus
                    (be quick, this is also going on the Armour Archive)

                    Tim adams <tim_adams_unix@...> wrote:
                    What is Glendours email address??
                    do you have one of these?
                    I like the momonari but the Seiki Bachi is just WOW.
                    I would have to adjust to vertical bars..

                    Tadamatsu (Timothy of northkeep) I think this name will pass even