Re: [SCA-JML] Translation

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2000
      Fumio Sensei!

      Do you really mean war? War is Senso, but there are lots of wars
      in Japan with other names.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • yamashiro_kato@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
        Konnichiwa....

        I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
        to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
        of the romanized text to pronounce.

        Domo aragato
        -Yamashiro Kato'
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
          yamashiro_kato@... wrote:

          > Konnichiwa....
          >
          > I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
          > to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
          > of the romanized text to pronounce.

          The only think I know of is http://www. rikai.com but it requires an
          understanding of Japanese grammar and some basic vocabulary.

          There is no satisfactory translation software for Japanese... this is a
          topic that comes up with some frequency on the hon'yaku list.

          Effingham
        • Gara of Lions Gate
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
            > Konnichiwa....
            >
            > I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
            > to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
            > of the romanized text to pronounce.
            >
            > Domo aragato
            > -Yamashiro Kato'

            If you're looking to only translate words, try
            http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict . I find this site very handy,
            especially when I receive email from friends and don't recognize some of the
            kanji. I can then cut and paste it into the dictionary, and it will give me
            a translation for the kanji. It will also translate romaji to English and
            English to romaji/kanji.

            Gara

            p.s. there is also a new download from Microsoft which enables you to type
            in Japanese, very nifty.. I don't have a link for it right now, but I will
            try to find it if anybody is interested. It's called Microsoft Global IME
            5.0
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
              Carl Grasso wrote:

              > Hello everyone.
              >
              > Is there anyone who might be able to help me translate something I've written (a haiku) into
              > Japanese. I have a feeling that it will lose the proper form, so I don't want to just go with a
              > jap-eng dictionary. I'd also likely want to attempt to write it in Kanji. A close friend of mine
              > recently lost a loved one and I composed this in honor of the deceased. We want to write the haiku
              > on a plaque and place it on the grave. So if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
              > Send me an e-mail if you can (sarken@...).

              For the record, translating something like a haiku *into* Japanese to maintain haiku pattern is nigh
              on impossible, given the meters of the language and so forth. Translating haiku from J to E usually
              produces only a "translation for meaning" not a "translation of form" and going the other way would
              be no different...