Re: [SCA-JML] Period Japanese Cuisine

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
      Noble Cousins!

      Regardling Pennsic. I left Peoria sometime late Thursday night.
      While driving through Indian or Ohio Friday morning, I was
      passed by a green pickup stuffed with tiki torches and what
      naught. Friday nigth, I arrived in Wilkes-Barre (new job).
      I will be going to Pennsic at the end of the week. I have
      to sort through my stuff, but hopefully none of my Pennsic
      stuff went into the storage building.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Jason & Christina Hunt
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
        Oh WOW! I originally grew up in Wilkes-Barre, but I moved to Canada a
        little over a year ago when I married my husband. There is a wonderful
        group there that were the ones who got me started in the SCA. Of all the
        things I left behind I miss those guys the most. You're lucky to be in
        the Barony of Endless Hills.

        Harume

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Regardling Pennsic. I left Peoria sometime late Thursday night.
          > While driving through Indian or Ohio Friday morning, I was
          > passed by a green pickup stuffed with tiki torches and what
          > naught. Friday nigth, I arrived in Wilkes-Barre (new job).
          > I will be going to Pennsic at the end of the week. I have
          > to sort through my stuff, but hopefully none of my Pennsic
          > stuff went into the storage building.

          Welcome to the Twilight Zone; for two years -- when I was at St. Tikhon's
          -- I lived VERY near Wilkes-Barre. It was the nearest real town, it and
          Scranton. Where are you working now?

          Looking forward to seeing you in a few days! (and I'm bringing a copy of
          that sorobun/letter monograph for you!)

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! The oldest Japanese cookbook of which
            > I am aware is Ryorimonogatari which was published in the early
            > 17th century and is within the Society's documentary time
            > limit. I have both a photocopy of the original monjo and also
            > a copy of a recent translation into modern Japanese.

            There's been a recent translation? Who published it, do you remember off hand?

            > There
            > are also a couple of other good references on Japanese food
            > history which I also have copies of which are also in Japanese.
            > What sort of thing are you interested in? How about serving
            > Souther Barbarian Chicken? As I recall, that was one of the
            > recipies in the book.
            >
            > Note. I am planning on producing a minor pamphlet on Japanese
            > cookery sometime in the next year or two. That is why I have
            > been collecting these sources.

            Now THAT would be cool and VERY useful!

            Looking forward to seeing it, drooling alla time...

            Effingham
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
              Baron Edward!

              I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
              since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
              of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
              did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
              would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
              that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
              so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
              Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
              which happened in the middle of July.

              I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
              of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
              and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
              with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                Baron Edward!

                Greetings from Solveig!

                I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
                for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
                instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.

                I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
                unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
                If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
                you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
                least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

                If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
                do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
                Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
                Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
                Such a schedule would probably crush me.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                  > Baron Edward!
                  >
                  > I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
                  > since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
                  > of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
                  > did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
                  > would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
                  > that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
                  > so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
                  > Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
                  > which happened in the middle of July.

                  Wow... well, at least it's a nice area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find
                  something you can live with.

                  > I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
                  > of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
                  > and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
                  > with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

                  Erp!

                  Um.... which ones? I'll have to move fast to get some things ready for
                  them.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Baron Edward!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    >
                    > I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
                    > for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
                    > instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.
                    >
                    > I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
                    > unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
                    > If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
                    > you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
                    > least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

                    <G> I'm bringing it, I'm bringing it. <G>

                    > If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
                    > do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
                    > Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
                    > Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
                    > Such a schedule would probably crush me.

                    Well, of course *I'd* suggest the summer in Japan, even as oppressively hot
                    and humid as it gets.

                    Effingham
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 7, 2000
                      Noble Cousin!

                      I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                      coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                      planning this enkai for?

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                    • Jason & Christina Hunt
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                        It's supposed to be a themed event in mid-October. In the past here
                        they've done German, Norse, Irish, etc. but this year a few of us are
                        pushing for Japanese :)

                        Harume

                        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                        > Noble Cousin!
                        >
                        > I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                        > coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                        > planning this enkai for?
                        >
                        > Your Humble Servant
                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                        > Amateur Scholar
                        > --
                        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                        > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                        > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                        > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                        > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                        > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                        > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                        > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                        > | techie.com, msn.com |
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                          Noble Cousin!

                          Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                          for you.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                        • Jason & Christina Hunt
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                            Lady Solveig!

                            Thanks, the moon viewing is a wonderful idea! Now I'll have to give
                            some thought on how to present it to everyone. Most of the people here
                            have european or norse personas but I was thinking since they have done
                            norse wrestling we might be able to have some sumo matches. Would they
                            be period?
                            Also I am working on making a Kamakura period kosode. I have the very
                            basics and I'm doing it in white but I'm still not quite sure on how to
                            do the collar/trim? Also what kind of embroidery would be period? I have
                            a book on Sashiko but from what I read it is post-period.
                            I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dishes you can find! Better
                            yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                            taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                            boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.

                            Harume

                            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                            > Noble Cousin!
                            >
                            > Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                            > for you.
                            >
                            > Your Humble Servant
                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                            > Amateur Scholar
                            > --
                            > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                            > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                            > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                            > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                            > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                            > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                            > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                            > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                            > | techie.com, msn.com |
                          • Ron Martino
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                              Better
                              > yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                              > taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                              > boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.
                              >
                              > Harume

                              From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                              Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                              Artemisia this September?

                              Yumitori
                            • Jason & Christina Hunt
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 9, 2000
                                From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                                > Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                                > Artemisia this September?

                                Yes, we're from Cold Lake (Stonewolf) but no we won't be making it to
                                Gryphon's Fury. We will be at Silverwolf though on the weekend of the
                                9th of September.

                                Harume
                              • Barbara Nostrand
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 9, 2000
                                  Noble Cousin!

                                  The earliest Sumo matches date to the Heian period or earlier.
                                  During the Heian period, they were associated with Tanabata.
                                  However, I don't see a big reason to avoid Sumo matches if
                                  that is what you want. However, I do hope that you will do
                                  real Sumo matches and not rubber suit silly Sumo. I can
                                  provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                                  rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                                  A kosode has a collar, but it does not have trim. I'm sure
                                  that others on this list are more expert about clothing
                                  construction than I am.

                                  Ahhh. Embroidery. I'm most familiar with mingei embroidery
                                  which tends to be of regular geometric patterns such as
                                  interlaced circles. I suggest that you restrict your
                                  embroidery efforts to accessories.

                                  I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                                  There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                                • Jason & Christina Hunt
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000
                                    I can
                                    > provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                                    > rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                                    please do, the handout would be most helpful

                                    I suggest that you restrict your
                                    > embroidery efforts to accessories.

                                    I was thinking of decorating a kimono, maybe silk painting would be more
                                    appropriate?

                                    > I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                                    > There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                                    We're going tomorrow just for fun but I will have to make another trip
                                    to the city in the near future but I'm not sure when yet. Hopefully it
                                    will be after Pennsic.

                                    Harume
                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000
                                      Noble Cousin!

                                      I do hope that you will be doing your grocery shopping for your
                                      event sometime after September 1.

                                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                                    • Barbara Nostrand
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000
                                        Noble Cousins!

                                        Ran is being re-released. If you have not seen this movie, go see it.
                                        If you have seen it, then you know why you should see it again.

                                        . Arts. 160 minutes.

                                        Cast & Credits
                                        Starring Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Kazuo Kato, Hitoshi Ueki,
                                        Jun Tazaki

                                        Directed by Akira Kurosawa

                                        Full Cast and Crew

                                        Synopsis: A version of Shakespeare's "King Lear," set in feudal
                                        Japan where aging ruler,
                                        Lord Hidetora, unleashes a power struggle amongst his three sons.

                                        Release date: Friday, August 18, 2000

                                        | techie.com, msn.com |