Translation

  • markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5 4:14 PM
      For those still on the list. Can anyone translate 'War Beat' into Japanese?
      It's a title of a Taiko piece.

      Fumio
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 7:47 PM
        Fumio Sensei!

        Do you really mean war? War is Senso, but there are lots of wars
        in Japan with other names.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • yamashiro_kato@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2 3:37 PM
          Konnichiwa....

          I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
          to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
          of the romanized text to pronounce.

          Domo aragato
          -Yamashiro Kato'
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2 3:50 PM
            yamashiro_kato@... wrote:

            > Konnichiwa....
            >
            > I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
            > to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
            > of the romanized text to pronounce.

            The only think I know of is http://www. rikai.com but it requires an
            understanding of Japanese grammar and some basic vocabulary.

            There is no satisfactory translation software for Japanese... this is a
            topic that comes up with some frequency on the hon'yaku list.

            Effingham
          • Gara of Lions Gate
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2 10:47 PM
              > Konnichiwa....
              >
              > I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
              > to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
              > of the romanized text to pronounce.
              >
              > Domo aragato
              > -Yamashiro Kato'

              If you're looking to only translate words, try
              http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict . I find this site very handy,
              especially when I receive email from friends and don't recognize some of the
              kanji. I can then cut and paste it into the dictionary, and it will give me
              a translation for the kanji. It will also translate romaji to English and
              English to romaji/kanji.

              Gara

              p.s. there is also a new download from Microsoft which enables you to type
              in Japanese, very nifty.. I don't have a link for it right now, but I will
              try to find it if anybody is interested. It's called Microsoft Global IME
              5.0
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
                Carl Grasso wrote:

                > Hello everyone.
                >
                > Is there anyone who might be able to help me translate something I've written (a haiku) into
                > Japanese. I have a feeling that it will lose the proper form, so I don't want to just go with a
                > jap-eng dictionary. I'd also likely want to attempt to write it in Kanji. A close friend of mine
                > recently lost a loved one and I composed this in honor of the deceased. We want to write the haiku
                > on a plaque and place it on the grave. So if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
                > Send me an e-mail if you can (sarken@...).

                For the record, translating something like a haiku *into* Japanese to maintain haiku pattern is nigh
                on impossible, given the meters of the language and so forth. Translating haiku from J to E usually
                produces only a "translation for meaning" not a "translation of form" and going the other way would
                be no different...