Re: [SCA-JML] Period Japanese Cuisine

  • bambooni@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2000
      ajbryant@... writes:

      > most of the
      > hard-core Japanese experts on this list are either on their way or packing.

      If you all check your mail before you go to war. I just wanted to wish
      everybody a happy Pensic........

      Takabayashi Genpachi(wishing he was going)
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2000
        bambooni@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/4/00 5:39:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > ajbryant@... writes:
        >
        > > most of the
        > > hard-core Japanese experts on this list are either on their way or packing.
        >
        > If you all check your mail before you go to war. I just wanted to wish
        > everybody a happy Pensic........

        Maybe next year?

        Effingham
      • bambooni@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
          ajbryant@... writes:

          > Maybe next year?

          I have my fingers crossed.......

          Takabayashi Genpachi
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000

            Greetings from Solveig! The oldest Japanese cookbook of which
            I am aware is Ryorimonogatari which was published in the early
            17th century and is within the Society's documentary time
            limit. I have both a photocopy of the original monjo and also
            a copy of a recent translation into modern Japanese. There
            are also a couple of other good references on Japanese food
            history which I also have copies of which are also in Japanese.
            What sort of thing are you interested in? How about serving
            Souther Barbarian Chicken? As I recall, that was one of the
            recipies in the book.

            Note. I am planning on producing a minor pamphlet on Japanese
            cookery sometime in the next year or two. That is why I have
            been collecting these sources.

            >Greetings!
            >
            > Anyone out there have any info on period Japanese cooking, especially
            >recipies. I am thinking of feastocrating an event and I would like to
            >give it a Japanese theme. Recipes will be very appreciated.
            >

            > Harume

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000

              Regardling Pennsic. I left Peoria sometime late Thursday night.
              While driving through Indian or Ohio Friday morning, I was
              passed by a green pickup stuffed with tiki torches and what
              naught. Friday nigth, I arrived in Wilkes-Barre (new job).
              I will be going to Pennsic at the end of the week. I have
              to sort through my stuff, but hopefully none of my Pennsic
              stuff went into the storage building.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Jason & Christina Hunt
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
                Oh WOW! I originally grew up in Wilkes-Barre, but I moved to Canada a
                little over a year ago when I married my husband. There is a wonderful
                group there that were the ones who got me started in the SCA. Of all the
                things I left behind I miss those guys the most. You're lucky to be in
                the Barony of Endless Hills.

                Harume

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                  > Noble Cousins!
                  >
                  > Regardling Pennsic. I left Peoria sometime late Thursday night.
                  > While driving through Indian or Ohio Friday morning, I was
                  > passed by a green pickup stuffed with tiki torches and what
                  > naught. Friday nigth, I arrived in Wilkes-Barre (new job).
                  > I will be going to Pennsic at the end of the week. I have
                  > to sort through my stuff, but hopefully none of my Pennsic
                  > stuff went into the storage building.

                  Welcome to the Twilight Zone; for two years -- when I was at St. Tikhon's
                  -- I lived VERY near Wilkes-Barre. It was the nearest real town, it and
                  Scranton. Where are you working now?

                  Looking forward to seeing you in a few days! (and I'm bringing a copy of
                  that sorobun/letter monograph for you!)

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 5, 2000
                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! The oldest Japanese cookbook of which
                    > I am aware is Ryorimonogatari which was published in the early
                    > 17th century and is within the Society's documentary time
                    > limit. I have both a photocopy of the original monjo and also
                    > a copy of a recent translation into modern Japanese.

                    There's been a recent translation? Who published it, do you remember off hand?

                    > There
                    > are also a couple of other good references on Japanese food
                    > history which I also have copies of which are also in Japanese.
                    > What sort of thing are you interested in? How about serving
                    > Souther Barbarian Chicken? As I recall, that was one of the
                    > recipies in the book.
                    >
                    > Note. I am planning on producing a minor pamphlet on Japanese
                    > cookery sometime in the next year or two. That is why I have
                    > been collecting these sources.

                    Now THAT would be cool and VERY useful!

                    Looking forward to seeing it, drooling alla time...

                    Effingham
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                      Baron Edward!

                      I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
                      since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
                      of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
                      did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
                      would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
                      that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
                      so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
                      Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
                      which happened in the middle of July.

                      I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
                      of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
                      and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
                      with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                        Baron Edward!

                        Greetings from Solveig!

                        I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
                        for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
                        instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.

                        I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
                        unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
                        If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
                        you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
                        least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

                        If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
                        do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
                        Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
                        Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
                        Such a schedule would probably crush me.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                          > Baron Edward!
                          >
                          > I just arrived a couple of days ago. My office overlooks the river and
                          > since I am on the fourth floor, I can actually see the river and a bit
                          > of hill beyond. Now, if I can just find a commodious place to live. I
                          > did have them install my futon in my office for me. I told them that I
                          > would live in my office until I found a place to live. I'm not sure
                          > that they believed me. They didn't get the contract to me until July,
                          > so I really didn't have an option of coming here much sooner than I did.
                          > Also, I had previously scheduled a pretty necessary trip to Toronto
                          > which happened in the middle of July.

                          Wow... well, at least it's a nice area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find
                          something you can live with.

                          > I may to my great disgrace have to take you up on pitch hitting some
                          > of my scheduled classes for me. I scheduled these classes months ago
                          > and I was supposed to be settled by now. Even U-Haul came through
                          > with a delay which messed things up on arrival here.

                          Erp!

                          Um.... which ones? I'll have to move fast to get some things ready for
                          them.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 6, 2000
                            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                            > Baron Edward!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                            >
                            > I obtained the translation by accident when I put in an ILL request
                            > for the monjo. They didn't get the monjo, they got the translation
                            > instead. Amazing thing those reference librarians.
                            >
                            > I thought that I would be able to find my copies quickly, but I was
                            > unsuccessful. Hopefully, they managed to avoid the storage building.
                            > If so, I intend to find them in the next day or two. I believe that
                            > you have been promissing me a 16th century Japanese grammar for at
                            > least a year now. Nudge. Nudge.

                            <G> I'm bringing it, I'm bringing it. <G>

                            > If I can somehow make this job last longer than a year, I intend to
                            > do spiffy stuff next Summer. I am thinking of either doing another
                            > Summer intensive program in Japan or spending a month in Israel.
                            > Unfortunately, I probably can not do both and still do Pennsic.
                            > Such a schedule would probably crush me.

                            Well, of course *I'd* suggest the summer in Japan, even as oppressively hot
                            and humid as it gets.

                            Effingham
                          • Barbara Nostrand
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 7, 2000

                              I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                              coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                              planning this enkai for?

                              | techie.com, msn.com |
                            • Jason & Christina Hunt
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                                It's supposed to be a themed event in mid-October. In the past here
                                they've done German, Norse, Irish, etc. but this year a few of us are
                                pushing for Japanese :)

                                Harume

                                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                > Noble Cousin!
                                >
                                > I just recovered one of my saijiki for the tea ceremony. It has dishes
                                > coordinated by season. Could you possibly tell me which month you are
                                > planning this enkai for?
                                >
                                > Your Humble Servant
                                > Solveig Throndardottir
                                > Amateur Scholar
                                > --
                                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                                > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                                > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                                > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                                > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                                > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                                > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                                > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                                > | techie.com, msn.com |
                              • Barbara Nostrand
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000

                                  Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                                  for you.

                                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                                • Jason & Christina Hunt
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                                    Lady Solveig!

                                    Thanks, the moon viewing is a wonderful idea! Now I'll have to give
                                    some thought on how to present it to everyone. Most of the people here
                                    have european or norse personas but I was thinking since they have done
                                    norse wrestling we might be able to have some sumo matches. Would they
                                    be period?
                                    Also I am working on making a Kamakura period kosode. I have the very
                                    basics and I'm doing it in white but I'm still not quite sure on how to
                                    do the collar/trim? Also what kind of embroidery would be period? I have
                                    a book on Sashiko but from what I read it is post-period.
                                    I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of dishes you can find! Better
                                    yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                                    taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                                    boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.

                                    Harume

                                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                    > Noble Cousin!
                                    >
                                    > Great! You should plan a moon viewing. I will look up seasonal dishes
                                    > for you.
                                    >
                                    > Your Humble Servant
                                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                                    > Amateur Scholar
                                    > --
                                    > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                                    > | de Moivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
                                    > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                                    > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                                    > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                                    > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                                    > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                                    > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                                    > | techie.com, msn.com |
                                  • Ron Martino
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 8, 2000
                                      Better
                                      > yet trying to create them with what resources we have. Fortunately we're
                                      > taking a trip to Edmonton in the near future. Living out here in the
                                      > boonies it's hard to find a lot of things.
                                      >
                                      > Harume

                                      From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                                      Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                                      Artemisia this September?

                                      Yumitori
                                    • Jason & Christina Hunt
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 9, 2000
                                        From your e-mail address, am I correct in believing that you live in
                                        > Alberta, Canada? Any chance you might be coming to Gryphons' Fury in
                                        > Artemisia this September?

                                        Yes, we're from Cold Lake (Stonewolf) but no we won't be making it to
                                        Gryphon's Fury. We will be at Silverwolf though on the weekend of the
                                        9th of September.

                                        Harume
                                      • Barbara Nostrand
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 9, 2000

                                          The earliest Sumo matches date to the Heian period or earlier.
                                          During the Heian period, they were associated with Tanabata.
                                          However, I don't see a big reason to avoid Sumo matches if
                                          that is what you want. However, I do hope that you will do
                                          real Sumo matches and not rubber suit silly Sumo. I can
                                          provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                                          rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                                          A kosode has a collar, but it does not have trim. I'm sure
                                          that others on this list are more expert about clothing
                                          construction than I am.

                                          Ahhh. Embroidery. I'm most familiar with mingei embroidery
                                          which tends to be of regular geometric patterns such as
                                          interlaced circles. I suggest that you restrict your
                                          embroidery efforts to accessories.

                                          I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                                          There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                                        • Jason & Christina Hunt
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000
                                            I can
                                            > provide you with a handout on Sumo complete with the Sumo
                                            > rules used by the Middle School Sumo wrestlers in Japan.

                                            please do, the handout would be most helpful

                                            I suggest that you restrict your
                                            > embroidery efforts to accessories.

                                            I was thinking of decorating a kimono, maybe silk painting would be more
                                            appropriate?

                                            > I hope that your shopping trip can wait until September 1.
                                            > There is Pennsic to deal with here.

                                            We're going tomorrow just for fun but I will have to make another trip
                                            to the city in the near future but I'm not sure when yet. Hopefully it
                                            will be after Pennsic.

                                            Harume
                                          • Barbara Nostrand
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000

                                              I do hope that you will be doing your grocery shopping for your
                                              event sometime after September 1.

                                              | techie.com, msn.com |
                                            • Barbara Nostrand
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 10, 2000

                                                Ran is being re-released. If you have not seen this movie, go see it.
                                                If you have seen it, then you know why you should see it again.

                                                . Arts. 160 minutes.

                                                Cast & Credits
                                                Starring Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Kazuo Kato, Hitoshi Ueki,
                                                Jun Tazaki

                                                Directed by Akira Kurosawa

                                                Full Cast and Crew

                                                Synopsis: A version of Shakespeare's "King Lear," set in feudal
                                                Japan where aging ruler,
                                                Lord Hidetora, unleashes a power struggle amongst his three sons.

                                                Release date: Friday, August 18, 2000

                                                | techie.com, msn.com |