Re: [SCA-JML] Tatami

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
      Kusunoki Sensei!

      Greetings from Solveig! The way you build shoin style Japanese
      rooms is to design them around the tatami. Get your tatami first
      and then build the room around them. The largest tatami in Japan
      are traditionally those in Kyoto. Inaka (Tokyo) tatami are smaller.
      Danchi (housing project) tatami are the smallest. Rooms in Japan
      are measured in terms of tatami regardless of the size of the
      tatami in question.

      The cutout varies in size. The smallest is not much bigger than
      the tea kettle that sits in it. NOTE. Here I am including the
      wooden edging that is inserted into the cutout. This edging is
      an autonomous unit which is either square or rectangular.
      There is also an insert that goes into the well (which is
      currently made out of metal) which actually contains the fire.

      If you get really into the tea aesthetic, there are different
      size cutouts for different parts of the cold months. One
      cutout accomodates a nagaro which is a long rectagular hearth
      which can hold a relatively large fire. At other times
      a relative small square hearth is used over which a
      cylindrical unryuuugama is suspended by a jizai. Before the
      floods destroyed my library, I had several books just about
      tea rooms and a whole set of books about aspects of
      traditional and historic Japanese architecture. One whole
      book just about toilets for example.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2000
        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

        > Danchi (housing project) tatami are the smallest. Rooms in Japan
        > are measured in terms of tatami regardless of the size of the
        > tatami in question.

        Which is a dirty trick. I took a 6-jo (six-mat) room apartment in Tokyo; I
        was surprised when I found that they were danchi tatami and not
        "regulation" tatami. It wasn't much larger than a 4 1/2-jo room.

        > If you get really into the tea aesthetic, there are different
        > size cutouts for different parts of the cold months. One
        > cutout accomodates a nagaro which is a long rectagular hearth
        > which can hold a relatively large fire.

        I've always been impressed at the tatami makers who do those tatami with
        one corner missing for the removable mat section to access the well. That's
        really a spiffy piece of work.

        Effingham
      • elmar schmeisser
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:

          >...Get your tatami first
          > and then build the room around them...
          > The cutout varies in size...

          Somehow, I can't get my wife to agree to my taking a chainsaw to the
          upstairs floor to insert a fire pit - my best bet has been to dig one
          outdoors and cover it with a large square paving stone when not in
          use.

          On this topic, I usually switch (depending on my mood) between a
          large
          tripod over the pit and a trivet in the pit. My question is this -
          what should be the level of the kettle lip with the tripod? down
          near ground level as if a sunken kettle, or up higher as if a
          portable kettle (furo)?

          - elmar (ska Takanofuji Jutte, aka Seamus)
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000

            When suspended, I would preferentially emulate the unryugama which
            is suspended over a firepit. It is relatively low, but not necessarily
            as low as a regular in the floor kama. NOTE. This is very much from
            memory. Unfortunatley, all but one of my temae books were destroyed
            in a flood.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000
              Lady Solveig:

              I'm leaving tomorrow at the crack of dawn (give or take three hours or so
              <G>).

              I need to know if you still want me to take over any of your classes, and
              which ones they are. I'll be on probably one more time tonight.

              Effingham
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000

                A tsurigama (suspended kettle) is generally suspended so that the lip
                is at about the same hight as a regular rogama in a sunken hearth.
                There is a picture on page 66 of Sadosaijiki published by Tankosha.
                ISBN 4-473-00921-1 C2070 7800 yen. The joys of opening boxes long
                sealed.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 7, 2000
                  Baron Edward!

                  Could you plan on helping out with:

                  Japanese Language Workshop (this is largely intended to be a salon)
                  Diversions of the Japanese Aristocracy

                  Please consider also.

                  Japanese Architecture (I have not found my primary architecture books yet)
                  The Japanese Festival Calendar (I have sources for this, but you may be
                  better prepared at the moment.)

                • elmar schmeisser
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 8, 2000
                    wrote:

                    > A tsurigama (suspended kettle) is ...at about the same
                    > h[e]ight as a regular rogama in a sunken hearth....

                    Ah - wonderful. So the manner of use then follows that of ro
                    rather than that of furo in e.g. the placement of the ladle,
                    etc. Also leads to toasting the handle of your ladle as well
                    <grin>....

                    - Jutte (seamus/elmar)
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 8, 2000

                      Yes indeed. The tsurigama is a Winter temae. It is conducted either
                      in a small tea room or possibly in late Winter. The reason is that
                      the unryugama and generally other tsurigama as well are relatively
                      small and use small fires.

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                    • elmar schmeisser
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 9, 2000
                        --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:

                        > Yes indeed. The tsurigama is a Winter temae. It is conducted either
                        > in a small tea room or possibly in late Winter. The reason is that
                        > the unryugama and generally other tsurigama as well are relatively
                        > small and use small fires.

                        This seems strange - small fires in the coldest time of winter?
                        Also, I was thinking of outdoors (e.g. Pennsic <g>) - I have seen
                        (Sen'o Tanaka's book) a tripod made of branches hanging a kettle
                        outdoors in not-winter. At any rate - the bottom line is that the
                        kettle height vs. the ground level is the same for both trivet and
                        tripod, and the manner of service is also the same.

                        Thank you again, sensei.

                        - jutte (seamus/elmar)
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 9, 2000
                          Noble Baron.

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          I have one or more books by Tanaka Sen'o somewhere. Or at least I
                          did at one time. The basics will still be the same as they are
                          governed in part by mechanics.

                          For the first time in years, I have my copy of "Kama to Ro - Furo"
                          available to me. The section on types of ro (hearths) correlates
                          them somewhat to the size of room. I should have mentioned that
                          the unryugama is used in fairly intimate tea rooms (say 4.5 mats
                          and smaller). The Dairo (big ro) is 54.5 cm and is used in rooms
                          of say 6 mats or larger. A standard size might be about 42.4 cm.

                          The nagaro is about twice as long as a regular ro and can be
                          used for cooking during the kaiseki meal. The feeling of the
                          nagaro is appropriate for the depths of winter.

                          The saijiki shows a picture of the unryugama in the section on
                          March. So, the saijiki associates it with late Winter. I think
                          that my experience with the saji with a small suspended kettle
                          was in a colder month. There was snow on the ground outside as
                          I recall. However, we are talking about a 4.5 mat room
                          (about 10x10 or smaller) with 10 or 12 guests, a host, and a helper
                          all wearing wafuku (which are quite warm) with a small fire.
                          Let us say that it was cozy.

                          Your Humbel Servant

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                        • elmar schmeisser
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 10, 2000
                            --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:

                            Greetings, noble Solveig:

                            > ...we are talking about a 4.5 mat room
                            > (about 10x10 or smaller) with 10 or 12 guests, a host, and a helper
                            > all wearing wafuku (which are quite warm) with a small fire.
                            > Let us say that it was cozy.

                            12 people in a 4.5 mat room along with room for the tea gear...cozy
                            doesn't begin to describe that! That's the host and helper and tea
                            gear on one full mat, the kettle in the half mat, and everybody else
                            on 3 mats. Have to be small people - our normal (!) red headed 6+
                            foot tall 190+ pound Pensic samurai wouldn't be able to do it, I'd
                            venture <grin>...

                            - Jutte (seamus/elmar)
                          • Barbara Nostrand
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 10, 2000

                              And, this was a Saji! We ate a full formal meal together in that room.
                              I'm pretty sure that it was 4.5 mats. I am positive that it was no
                              larger than 6.

                              | techie.com, msn.com |
                            • Solveig
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 1, 2004

                                Greetings from Solveig! Please check out the following site. They sell
                                tatami and other stuff.

                                http://www.tatamiroom.com/

                                Nichibeibussan also sells tatami, clothing and other stuff.

                                http://www.nbstore.com/

                                Please consider buying real tatami and real kaki/shiki futon sets.
                                They are really really nice.

                              • Gary Williams
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 3, 2004
                                  The project to get my armor together is proceeding fairly well. I am using the Yama Kaminari design. As i was lacing together the sode the other day it occured to me i could turn this project into as A&S project as well. So I was thinking of doing the A&S on period Japanese lacing for 15th century armor. So of course 2 questions arise.

                                  1. How period is the Yama Kaminari design? I am making it out of barrel plastic, which is ok because everyone knows plastic barrels were being produced as early as the 12th century. :P

                                  2. Is the lacing techniques in the design period.

                                  So any advice, books, websites that can help me do the research on the lacing would be really helpful.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Cristen Fynlo (aka Gary Williams)

                                • Matt L
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 24, 2004
                                    this request for information has appearantly gone unnoticed, so perhapse I
                                    can help ever so slightly, and probably refer you to sources you have
                                    already explored...

                                    first and formodst I have to say "check out effingham-dono's website" it
                                    has several main sections including such things as linguistics,
                                    miscilanious projects & articles, and perhapse the finest set of
                                    instructions for making authenticly styled armor on the web. (well atleast
                                    the most indepth information I have managed to locate so far<G>)

                                    I am far from an expert on the topic, but he includes a chapter dedicated
                                    to odoshi (lacing) and it's paterns which seems to me quite informative.
                                    further he las links to both english sites and japanese sites as well as an
                                    exensive bibliography that you can start hunting for in interlibrary loans.

                                    the URL of his site is http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/ or you can go directly
                                    to the armoring manual at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/0.Katchu.html

                                    unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                                    <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non functional...
                                    but the other japanese language links for armor info appear to be fine,
                                    though you may need babblefish to read them... (which I have yet to try)

                                    you may also wish to do websearched on keywords such as odoshi, yoroi,
                                    sode, kebiki, kozane
                                    they may provide you with some useful links

                                    yoshimasa

                                    The project to get my armor together is proceeding fairly well. I am using
                                    the Yama Kaminari design. As i was lacing together the sode the other day
                                    it occured to me i could turn this project into as A&S project as well. So
                                    I was thinking of doing the A&S on period Japanese lacing for 15th century
                                    armor. So of course 2 questions arise.

                                    1. How period is the Yama Kaminari design? I am making it out of barrel
                                    plastic, which is ok because everyone knows plastic barrels were being
                                    produced as early as the 12th century. :P

                                    2. Is the lacing techniques in the design period.

                                    So any advice, books, websites that can help me do the research on the
                                    lacing would be really helpful.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Cristen Fynlo (aka Gary Williams)

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  • otagiri_tatsuzo
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 25, 2004
                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Matt L <mattlew@b...> wrote:

                                      > unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                                      > <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non
                                      functional...

                                      The correct link should be
                                      http://www.kozando.co.jp/english/index_e.html

                                      Otagiri
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 27, 2004
                                        Matt L wrote:

                                        > unfrtunatly his link to Yoroi no Kozan-do
                                        > <http://www.kozando.co.jp/index_e.html> appears to be non functional...
                                        > but the other japanese language links for armor info appear to be fine,
                                        > though you may need babblefish to read them... (which I have yet to try)

                                        They changed their URLs on me -- I have to update the link.

                                        For the record, when in doubt on a link like that, just go to the root URL -- in
                                        this case, http://www.kozando.co.jp and lo and behold, you have their website. <G>

                                        Effingham
                                      • Bryant Richards
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                          Question: Does anyone have a good source that sells lacing in bulk for lacing up armor? Something with different color options maybe. I tried the Lamellar armor site and they seem to be MIA (clicking on most of the links gives a CGI excceded error) any other ideas? I ask for bulks cause I am looking to buy enough to lace up about 6 sets of armor.

                                          In Honor and Service,
                                          Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                                          House Chiburi

                                        • Charles Dodge
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                            Uesugi

                                            Well I was going to send you to www.ricebraid.com but it seems the site is down. If you do a google search for ELC Rice Braid and click the cached link you can get an idea of what they had. Their sister site www.shopelc.com is still up but that is mostly military related braids.

                                            On an off chance you could look up their contact info from the shopelc site and try calling them. They sell in 144yd rolls.

                                            Nakos

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                              If you're willing to work with synthetics, you can buy bulk shoelaces online. Best of all, they already have aglets, which makes lacing a breeze.

                                              The site I used, as recommended by the ever-so-helpful Baron Edward on the Odoshi page of Sengoku Daimyo is http://www.lacesforless.com/

                                              Beware: few things are more entertaining than a box of loose shoelaces for those small, fuzzy domovoi that many call "cats"

                                              Ryuta

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                i used paracord.

                                                550 paracord.

                                                pull the inner strands out if you want it flat.
                                                leave it with strands for the tough stuff.

                                                ebay .
                                                lots of colors.
                                                lots.
                                              • John Lyon
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 3, 2009
                                                  I've had fantastic luck with just the Shoelaces from Shoelacesforless. I was
                                                  able to buy large amounts, of long laces. My Do is made of the Effingham
                                                  Kozane, so LOTS of lacing. I'm a big guy, and I think I ended up spending
                                                  $100-150 on shoe laces. They were great because they were nylon and I could
                                                  fuse the ends as I worked which was a great help. Having Nubs was also very
                                                  helpful for the lacing process. If your armor is going to be made of
                                                  plastic, the Shoelaces are going to be plenty tough for your application. If
                                                  your Do is going to be made of steel, you might just be SOL. My first set
                                                  was a sparse-laced 16G steel set. I used hockey lacing. Steel cut through
                                                  them quickly, and anything else I tried to use to replace it. With the
                                                  plastic I've been fighting for years and the only problem is that the lacing
                                                  has gotten stained from sweat and dirt. When you order from Lacesforless,
                                                  they will ask if you want it bundled or loose, get bundled. Then they tie
                                                  them together in pairs for you. If you get it loose then you just get this
                                                  big box of loose strings. Less fun than you might imagine, especially if you
                                                  are doing a lot of lacing.

                                                  --
                                                  "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
                                                  things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

                                                  John Lyon
                                                  aka The Ugly Dragon
                                                  aka Kita Jiru Toramassa