Re: [SCA-JML] OOP -- Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
      Baron Edward!

      >And the great irony is that the geisha he attributes most of his work to, and
      >whom he says was much of his inspiration, has publicly come out
      >against his book
      >as trash, and total fiction unlike anything based on reality in her
      >experience.

      Thank you for that note. That appears to confirm that he did meet a Geisha.
      Of course, it does also condemn the book.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Eva Grammer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2000
        OK, OK, so I don't have the best eye when choosing reading matter.  I still like the book, no matter how accurate it is.  But I've got the one you recommend by Dalby on my "to buy" list also.

        Cynwise

        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

        I know! I posted a recommendation for this book when I bought it a couple
        of weeks ago. Since then, I finished reading it, and I still recommend it.
        For those of you not familiar  with Dalby. She is the famous anthropologist
        who studied Geisha several decades ago. She is still probably the only
        Westerner to study being a geisha. According to the dust jacket of Dalby's
        book, she was hired as a technical consultant for the film version of
        Memoire of a Geisha. If the director pays attention to her, the movie
        could easily be better than the book version.

        Now for one of the reasons that I went barf when reading the front matter
        of Memoire of a Geisha. The author of that book dissed Dalby. He says that
        he consulted her when writing and early manuscript, but later met a real
        Geisha and threw out all that he had written. Yack! Yack! Yack! I am not
        convinced that he ever met a Geisha (except for possibly Dalby). I am
        confident that Dalby met dozens.

        You can get paid for reading emails!  Check this link out:

        http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/849085