Jinbaori - Sleeveless Haori

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      Onegaishimasu:

      What would be the "points of difference" between a jinbaori and a
      sleeveless haori? How does one distinguish the two?

      I ask because this because the latter garment may be the item that I
      keep seeing illustrated as being worn by men of lesser rank than the
      great lords and generals and have been misidentfying as a "simple
      jinbaori".

      Otagiri
    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
        wrote:

        > Onegaishimasu:
        >
        > What would be the "points of difference" between a jinbaori and a
        > sleeveless haori? How does one distinguish the two?

        The jinbaori I have seen have "lapels," and are slit part way up the
        back (makes sense for mounted samurai), while I think of haori as
        having a kimon-oid collar/lapel arrangement and not having an open
        back.

        Guys?

        Makiwara
      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          wrote:

          > Onegaishimasu:
          >
          > What would be the "points of difference" between a jinbaori and a
          > sleeveless haori? How does one distinguish the two?

          Check out this GORGEOUS jinbaori from the Momoyama period.
          Unfortunately, the Kyoto Museum website didn't have a front view, but
          you can see the slit up the back.

          http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/eng/syuzou/index.html

          Makiwara
        • makiwara_no_yetsuko
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
            <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
            > Check out this GORGEOUS jinbaori from the Momoyama period.
            > Unfortunately, the Kyoto Museum website didn't have a front view,
            but
            > you can see the slit up the back.
            >
            > http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/eng/syuzou/index.html

            There's an Edo period one at
            http://www.trocadero.com/dragondance/catalog40.html which I post
            because it actually shows a front view - notice the lapels.

            Makiwara