Re: Need advice

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John" <j_tygart@h...> wrote:
      > I have an idea, that I know will sound horrid, but I think it will
      > work. I am thinking of making a shikoro out of leather, no biggie
      > there, but instead of several overlapping lames, I am thinking of
      > one solid lame.
      >
      > Here is my logic, at fighter practice Sunday, i took a shot right
      > my collarbone that would have hit the shikoro if I were waring a
      > kabuto. In hitting one of the lames, I could easily see it snagging
      > on one lame and ripping the whole thing apart.
      >
      > So I am thinking one solid lame, maybe tooled to look like several
      > overlapping lames, and laced like it was several lames, but it isnt.
      >
      > Is this acceptable?
      >
      > thanks in advance
      > Odawara Karo Yoshinobu

      I used to wear a kabuto with metal shikkoro and I did have a problem
      with the lames shearing through the lacing along the front edge, but
      I think that was mostly due to the fact that there were only 5 sets
      of lacing holes in it, leaving around 4 inches between the suspension
      points. I think with lacing set more closely together as it should be
      and the edges of the lacing holes smoothed out there would be no
      problem at all.

      Saito
    • raijin31
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
        Greetings!!

        I have been wearing kabuto with metal shikoro since '97. As Saito
        suggested, putting the lacing holes closer together do help lengthen
        the life of the lacing. Like Saito, the only place the lacing frayed
        or broke was in the front, but I only had that happen twice in 7
        years. The lacing that broke usually snapped after becoming frayed,
        and even after it broke, because the other lacing was so close (about
        1 1/2" to 2" apart, it was no big deal. It wasn't enough for me to
        have to stop fighting for the day, and because it was only one piece
        of lacing, it only took about 5 minutes to repair...

        Otoshi

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          > The jinbaori I have seen have "lapels," and are slit
          > part way up the back (makes sense for mounted samurai),
          > while I think of haori as having a kimon-oid collar/lapel
          > arrangement and not having an open back.

          This is what people generally think of when you say "jinbaori":
          http://www.yusoku.com/top-jinbaori.jpg

          It became pretty much the standard through the Edo period, so it's the commonly
          envisioned "historical" model today.

          However, there are a dozen or so different styles. See:
          http://www.mmwhida.jp/beebo/hie/m13.htm
          http://www.city.chikushino.fukuoka.jp/furusato/sanpo02.htm
          http://www.shinjin.co.jp/kuki/suigun/jinbaori.jpg
          http://lian.webup.co.jp/tanaka/textile/zuhan/00013/00013.jpg
          http://www.shirakawa.ne.jp/~rekimin/siri2/jin.jpg
          http://www.shirakawa.ne.jp/~rekimin/siri2/jin2.jpg
          http://vase02.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mego/image/aobam03.jpg
          http://www.iwate-np.co.jp/news/y2003/m03/d21/j200303213.jpg
          http://www.town.sanada.nagano.jp/archive/03media/gif/zinbaori.jpg

          Anthony J. Bryant
          Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

          Grand Cross, Order of the Laurel:
          http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
        • Otagiri Tatsuzou
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
            So what is significantly different between this (a jinbaori):
            http://vase02.hp.infoseek.co.jp/mego/image/aobam03.jpg

            and this (a dobuku)?:
            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/dobuku1L.jpg

            Otagiri